How open is your family with talking about sex? and how do you feel about it?

I think my family is pretty open once the "kids" are adults and in adult relationships. I think that since it is such a special part of marriage, life, and happiness that it shouldn't be a "secret" but I think that people feel differently depending on the way they were raised. I'm curious to know everyone's experiences.

My great grandmother's passing brought this to my mind. I swear she was going to refuse to die because someone told her there was no sex in heaven. She was very open with us, and I think it helped us be more comfortable and happy in our adult lives.

So do you talk about it all? None of it? Some of it? Did any of your elders ever give you relationship advice that way?

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:00 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Relationships

• i think some of it's ok, but not giving all the dirty details is the best(lol)..
    sunshinebaby209

Answer by sunshinebaby209 at 10:02 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I'd rather not talk about it with family. That's what friends are for ;P
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 10:04 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Now that I am older, my mother is more open about it. She is normally a shy person so there wasn't much talk about it when I was growing up.

I am very open about it with my kids. i would rather that they found out all about it from me than from a kid on the bus and get a diluded view of what sex actually is.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:05 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We openly talk and joke about it. The kids are not afraid to talk about anything with us.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:08 PM on May. 30, 2011

• We are pretty open, we always have. My mom is an adolescent social worker, so she was always open and honest of what she expected and what she "knew" we were doing. There were condoms readily available in the house when I was living there, and not much has changed. There is not much to say about it now that we are older, I always knew how open she was to the discussion.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:10 PM on May. 30, 2011

• The sex talks with your kids is one thing but I don't see myself sitting around the dinner table with my dad talking about his or my sex life LOL... I am not talking about it with my mom or step mom either.. Now my friends, oh yes.. We talk !!! We are open with each other :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:13 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Oh you could definitely tell the "newlywed" at our table. LOL. Grandma would say something and the newbie to the conversations would be so embarrassed like "Grandma, my god!" She would just answer "Oh, there's nothing new about it but some of the contraptions...and sure, you give a family 4 generations and then you're "gross"...you'll be gross too someday"

Honestly, it was rarely graphic unless someone asked...it was mostly talk about how important it was to be a lover to your husband, being comfortable with your body, showing love, not using it as a weapon...stuff like that. We could talk about anything though, even the uncomfortable...sex during pregnancy, sex after you've been hurt, after kids, etc.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 10:22 PM on May. 30, 2011

• My family was careful not to talk about it in front of us as kids and that didn't really change much as we grew. I remember hearing a slip every now and then, the adults teasing each other or a dirty joke I walked in on a time or two. Honestly, I still cannot see myself sitting around talking or joking about sex with my parents or grandparents or even aunts and uncles. My DH's family on the other hand takes it to well, levels I find gross. It was not long ago SIL, at the dinner table in her parents house no less, told her brother, my DH, that she had a strong gag reflex and if he did not believe her, he could ask her boyfriend. Then more recently, my DH had a vasectomy and that has for some reason become a topic that is everyone's business. Someone asked this same SIL if her brother had surgery. She said no but "he had his nuts cut." This time I looked at him and asked if he ever regretted sharing so much.
    Anonymous

• My family was very prude, but I am open about it with my children.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:22 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I love your grandmother--what a wonderful woman. My Mom said she asked her 90 yr old great aunt when people lost interest in sex as they got older, and her aunt said--Honey, you'll have to find somebody older than me! I have always been very open with my children, mother, and sisters about sexuality, and we are very happy with thing that way although when they were teenagers I got the occasional eye-roll and oh, Mooomm! I worried about how to raise a son but we have always had very good open communication about sex and everything.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 2:45 AM on May. 31, 2011