What should i do?

So MIL and i have been in a tail spin for 8 months and she finally told DH that the reason she doesn't visit is because of me (she hasn't seen her granddaughter in five months after my husband finally stood up and said she needed to respect his wife) so her solution is she will visit but i have to be out of the house......WTH her words "I'll visit but she has to be gone and don't let her take the car (the car is mine from before we got married and is nearly all paid off but since i am a SAHM he uses it more) that car is now yours she's to lazy to make the payments (i'm on unemployment and make enough to pay the car payment insurance and half our 700 rent.....but i'm to lazy.....)"

DH told her that if she wanted to see our daughter she would see us as a family or not at all to which she told him that she was going to take us to court for not letting her see her granddaughter since it is her right to do so

Ps. our state doesn't have grandparents rights i've already called and asked but should i cut her off she throws tantrums when we won't agree with her and i'm worried she will do so with our children (DD is only 8 months and we have another due in october) i worry when they grow up they will be her next victims

krissii

Asked by krissii at 10:33 PM on May. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your husband seems to be doing a good job dealing with her. I'd let him continue to do so and stay as far a way from it as possible. Hopefully she will come around- if not, that's her loss.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:38 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would let her son deal with this and he has it the way I would expect my dh to say "You either see us as a family or not at all". Even if she did take you to court, it would not fly. You are not keeping her grandchild away from her, she can't play nice and understand you are not only the child's mother, but her son's wife. I am sorry you have to deal with this and being pregnant too!! Your MIL will need to learn how to respect you or she will lose out.
    techgirl3

Answer by techgirl3 at 10:39 PM on May. 30, 2011

• It's her loss if she doesn't want to accept her son & his family. It's not up to you to try to make everything perfect.
    Let her pitch her fit & shell eventually get over herself.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:43 PM on May. 30, 2011

• She's on crack! Stick to ur guns, if she want to see ur daughter it's on ur terms, not hers!
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 11:03 PM on May. 30, 2011

• You and your DH sound like your united so stick with it...
    AyamiLove

Answer by AyamiLove at 12:51 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I say if she doesn't accept ALL of you, she's not going to see ANY of you.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:52 PM on May. 31, 2011