Doctors, Nurses and CNA's. Sore red bump under the skin, adult content

not directly on the bikini line but a bit farther in on the left side. I get these often in the summer but this one has grown to about the size of a dime. It's red and hard when I touch it but after going swimming today in a chlorinated pool, it has started draining. It smells god awful and it's to the point where it hurts to walk. I have a gauze patch over it now and I'm wearing loose fitting shorts so it can air out but does anyone know what this is or how I can get it to drain faster? It started to feel better once some of it drained out but it still really hurts and there's a lot of fluid in it. It also feels like there's a hard lump in with it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Health

• It sounds like like you have an skin abscess. It will not get better without medical help in most cases. Does it look like this? 

Unlike other infections, antibiotics  alone will not typically cure a skin abscess. In general, abscesses must open and drain to improve. Although sometimes an abscess will open and drain spontaneously, it often needs to be lanced (incision and drainage) by your doctor. In worst case, some need surgery.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:48 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Sounds like a boil,go to the doctor and have them look at it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 10:51 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Take a safety pin to it and squeeze it !!! Sounds like a cyst...if you watch youtube there are people on there that have what you have explained and have video taped it, it also stinks and it looks like a huge pimple but isnt.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 10:51 PM on May. 30, 2011

• On the other hand it could be a boil. Does it look like this?  With a boilk, unless its real big, u can poop it yourself by using warm washcloth over and over, just do not use a needle, it may cause and infection.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:52 PM on May. 30, 2011

• oops, meant pop not poop...lol Also u can continue putting bandages and wash with antibacterial soap and neosprin(?) or something like that.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 10:56 PM on May. 30, 2011

• @Michigan-Mom74

No. It looks like this. Only without a head on it. Theres even a dry skin flake on top of it now.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Boils are very painful and red and swollen. They also thrive in moist warm places such as the groin, underarms. You can pop it yourself, there are also many home remedies for boils to bring the puss up so it can be popped and drained. Just make sure you wash your hands before and after, and use something sterile if you mess with it. And probably some antibiotic ointment, neosporin or similar. I get small bumps in that area that i can pop and they are mostly ingrown hairs, after i pop it i can grasp the hair that was underneath and pull it out with tweesers. Just watch for signs of infection. Keep it clean.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 10:59 PM on May. 30, 2011

• @Astraea....My brother is a nurse, and he HIGHLY recommends AGAINST popping boils cause most people, not all, do not know how to disinfect properly and sometimes can cause an the infection to worsen and/or develop into a staph infection or worst case what doctors call Community-associated MRSA or CA-MRSA. One can actually be a carrier of MRSA and not know until the get a skin infection such as a boil.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:39 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Let a physician lance it. If you try to pop it yourself you could spread the infection. If it gets too bad they may have to hospitalize you to keep the wound cleaned out and packed. Honestly do not let this go for too long. Get this looked at asap. Even if its a boil it can get worse than what it already is. And that's what it looks like. Can't say definately because infected hair looks similar. Don't pop this yourself!
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 12:06 AM on May. 31, 2011

• @Astraea....My brother is a nurse, and he HIGHLY recommends AGAINST popping boils cause most people, not all, do not know how to disinfect properly and sometimes can cause an the infection to worsen

I'm sorry, I tend to answer questions thinking people have the same common sense i do not to dig in their skin with dirty objects. Obviously not.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 6:17 PM on May. 31, 2011