Talking to kids about reproduction

My 6 1/2 yr old son asked where babies come from today for the first time. I said "from a mommy's tummy." Then he asked, "But how do they get out of their tummy?" I said, "Through their vagina." My DH was shocked to hear me say it so bluntly and thought this was too much detail for our son -- am I wrong? How would you have answered this question? We are not a religious family, so I don't use that approach. I use anatomically correct terms for body parts (but I feel like "uterus" is a little beyond his comprehension at this time, but we've already been using the terms penis and vagina). Thanks for your advice.

klickitykat

Asked by klickitykat at 10:37 PM on May. 30, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think that uterus is beyond them at that stage... when my son was five he was very curious about pregnancy because I was pregnant with his youngest sister... we told him that moms have a special organ in their bellies called a uterus that is made for growing babies, and that they have have a vagina/birth canal for hte babies to come out when they are ready to be born. He didn't ask about the dad's role in reproduction for a long time (it didn't occur to him for some reason) but when they covered it in health class at school we talked about it pretty matter of factly. He was a bit puzzled by the concept: "So.... I came out of dad's penis?" LOL! But I think he has a decent understanding now that we've discussed. I don't see anything wrong with your answer... it's pretty much what I told my kids and it didn't phase them in the slightest.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:51 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would have said the same thing. Why beat around about it?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:39 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it either.
    why my niece pointed at my breast and asked me what it was I just told her 'it's a breast' she stuck out her chest and proudly shouted 'it's a BREAST!'

I think they are usually fine with knowing the proper terms. It's just a name of a body part.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:24 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I would have done the same thing.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 4:23 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i think thats the perfect way to explain it =)
    twolilgirls712

Answer by twolilgirls712 at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think that sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:59 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• sounds like a good answer to me
    ilovemyboys84

Answer by ilovemyboys84 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I don't sugar coat anything. If they ask I am going to tell them. I think you are A-OK on this.
    daerca574

Answer by daerca574 at 8:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would have said the same thing!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 3:09 PM on Jun. 7, 2011