Knitting: how much yarn would I need to make a 12" block in worsted weight yarn?

I am thinking about doing a 12x12 block of knitting each month for a year and then at the end of the year, seam all of them together to make an afghan. I have no earthly clue how much yarn I would need per block. The reason I'm curious is because I'd like to do each block in Malabrigo Worsted and it gets a little expensive. I'm thinking size 8 or 9 needles. Generally, my gauge is pretty good.

Pale

Asked by Pale at 10:38 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• The length of the yarn in a single skein can vary, even yarns of the same weight and ply. You should probably have enough yarn in 1 skein to do more than one of your blocks, but I would make my first block and see how it comes out...how much of the skein is used, and whether or not the needles produce the weight and feel desired. From that first block, you'll have your answer. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 11:30 PM on May. 30, 2011