Firearms for our kids....

My DH wants to buy a cricket or a handgun for our ten yr. old. Is this appropriate. I think it's not but can I have more input from you ladies. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• Why on earth does a ten year old need a handgun?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:07 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• um why would you even let him buy a handgun for a 10 year old? now if he was buying him some kind of hunting gun cuz he goes hunting with his dad then i understand that but a handgun why? I wouldnt have it at all.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:11 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• A handgun for a ten year old? Ah, no. But that is just me. Perhaps some time at a shooting range would be more appropriate or a class on firearms and gun safety with dad in attendence. But a ten year old with a hand gun is not the smartest parental decision that would be made this holiday season. Depending on how you feel, call your local law enforcement agency to see what their personal thoughts are about children and guns - don't forget to mention the age of your son. I'm not against guns. Just that responsible ADULTS need to be the ones to own them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:13 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I personally don't think it's appropriate. What would a 10 year old need a gun for? Is he hunting with a handgun? Most likely not. Whatever happened to TOY guns?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• A handgun might not be totally appropriate for a 10-yr-old. I'm all for guns and teaching children how to handle guns for their own safety and that of everyone around them, but I think a BB gun or a 22 rifle would be more age appropriate, and hubby could take him range shooting or something like that to learn to use a hand gun.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:21 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Have him read up on that 8 yr old who shot his dad with the hunting rifle his dad bought him and taught him how to use...
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:27 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My Post.......They do go hunting together but I still feel he should not have his own weapon. I call it weapon because that is what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm not too fond of them, but my husband makes a good point. If you teach people at a young age how to handle the weapon and let them see how powerful it is, they are more likely to respect it and treat it as a such instead of a toy. He's not saying let the kid keep it in his room to show his friends. Lock it up and keep it safegaurded. Then under proper supervision, at a proper place allow your son to fire it.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• the age for handguns is 21 not 18 like rifles because tehy are ment to kill people not animals.. i woud not allow it because it is small and he could sneek it out to show off and get expelled or something but i wouldnt let my dh or son have a gun at all until they were old enough to really understand it... dh is 35 and i am still waiting for him to be mature enough... jk
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:44 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The Crickett is a great little gun. It holds only one bullet and has quite a few safety features. Just remember to keep it locked up when they aren't out hunting or at the range.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008