Why won't she drink more than an ounce? I don't understand and its getting frustrating......

Our daughter Mackenzie is 10 weeks old. Snce we brought her home from the NICU she has not eaten like she was and should be. Shes been home for the last 5 weeks. she s only drinking at most an ounce and a half. On a good day she will drink 2-3 ounces at least once. She is so cranky im starting to have a hard time being patient. she sleeps for maybe an hour, if im lucky she will sleep for almost 3. I know the poor thing has to be hungry and if not then she is in pain from the NEOSURE. But its what she was drinking while in the NICU so there shouldnt be a reason she wont drink it.
I asked the dr last week if we could switch her formula and to be honest he didnt even ask me why or how is she acting when drinkin it. He said absolutely not its the best for her right now. okay I get that but you dont know what goes on at home. on top of her supposedly being colic, we just want her to feel better and not cry the entire time she is awake.... I dont know what to do. daddy says that if the dr doesnt seem interested at all or change it then we are changing drs. shes to fragile to not take care of properly..

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 11:36 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was she preemie, if so by how many weeks? If she is colicy sometimes an oz at a time is all they can handle and its easier for them to keep it down that way, will she have another oz 20 mins or so later? is she gaining weight? Sometimes as Mothers we think they are not getting enough but they are. If your not happy with the pedi's advice and feel a lack of concern you should by all means get another opinion, it never hurts. Good Luck!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:41 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I agree with Princess! If you do not feel comfortable try another ped. They do need the Neosure right now though. Also colic alone will do what you are describing. So sorry honey i know it's hard! Is she keeping everything down? Gaining? wetting and dirtying diapers?
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:48 PM on May. 30, 2011

• How are diapers? It's possible that is the amount she needs at that time. Remember, their tummies are TINY! Most people know that breastfed babies eat smaller amounts very frequently, but it is common with formula babies. Try offering the small amounts often. You might want to look into a sling or a wrap, that way she's close to you, and you can still get stuff done, many babies LOVE being worn. Can you tell me more about her? Is it just the crying and small feeds that have you concerned? Does there seem to be ANY type of pattern to it? More cranky at certain times of the day? The amounts of time that you say she sleeps are normal at this age. If there is anything that you can think of, let me know, we'll see if we can figure out what's up. I am going to say this...I am NOT pushing/bashing/judging, anything...but are you open to/able to nurse or pump? If you are interested, it might help. If not, lets move on :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:48 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Way to go Ladies! I luv seeing positive and helpful comments instead of bashing! This preemie thing is hard enough!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 11:57 PM on May. 30, 2011

• she poops alot lol and wet alot. try to feed her more and she keeps her mouth open like she dont want it.. same with binky.. after she cries a few minutes she will drink for a min and then treat it as if shes sucking on the binky. she was 5 weeks premature. she has congential CMV.. which is a infection of the brain.. but i have so many posts about her its too late to type all thats already been said. she cries more after she eats. sometimes it seems like shes in pain. she will get this death grip on me and let out this scream that to me seems like she is hurting. she is the WORST at burping but we try our best to make sure she does.... I have a 7 yr old and dont remember it being this hard. but i know all babies are differnt. my milk supply sucked.. so i gave up after she was eating two ounces in the NICU.. she has only spit up three times in ten weeks. and it was recently cause we attempted to try another formula on our own
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 12:04 AM on May. 31, 2011

• she is gaining weight. came home at 4lbs and is now 6 :) i could be wrong but i sometimes feel like she forgets how to eat .. mainly when she starts treating the nipple like its a binky. shes very picky as to when she wants that as well and yes it seems like we are ALWayS feeding her... she keeps us busy, mainly me.. im about worn out. this to shall pass as they say
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 12:07 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Honestly to me it sounds as though she may have reflux. I think that you need to go back in and talk t your pedi or get another opinion. I agree that she needs the neosure at this point just b/c it has more calories but she also needs to be checked for other problems. I wish you luck and hope that you get this figured out so that you will like your baby as well as love her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:09 AM on May. 31, 2011

• It really sounds pretty normal to me...maybe a touch of colic. Diapers and weight sound great. Does she use a paci? It sounds like she has high sucking needs. If your gut says something is not right, ask the doctor for a second opinion, or referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist. Again, no pushing, but if you are interested in nursing, it's not too late, and it might help, as babies nurse for food AND comfort. It's up to you, but if you would like to know more, let me know. I'm off to bed now, but will check back in the morning. Good luck!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:25 AM on May. 31, 2011