Toddler beds

my son is one and walking well what age do they have to be to have a toddler bed he can get off of chairs well so i had thought that he could be ready but needed to ask first thank you for your time

tjmommy2010

Asked by tjmommy2010 at 11:37 PM on May. 30, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I moved my son to a toddler bed at 18 months. For us it was easy, we moved so to him it was new house equals new bed.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 10:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My DD is almost 3 and still in her crib. My SO doesn't want to transition her just yet . He is concerned that she will get up and play instead of sleep. I say we just go for it. I would however leave yours a little longer until he can understand that he needs to stay in bed when he is put there.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:03 AM on May. 31, 2011

• There is no set time for this, it really depends on the child. I know alot of people wait till about 2. We moved our daughter into a toddler bed at 15mths after she jumped out of the crib!
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:43 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I always heard they were safest in a crib until they started to try to climb out. DD never tried to climb out, so she wasn't moved to a toddler bed until about three months before she turned 3yo.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:48 PM on May. 30, 2011

• I got a toddler bed when DS started to climb off things on his own. I never wait until they climbed out of the crib, that's too scary!
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:53 PM on May. 30, 2011

• Neither of my kids tried to climb in or out of their crib, they just got too tall to fit comfortably at around 2. There is no real set age or stage to move them. It's more a matter of necessity (another baby on the way) or personal choice. If you feel he's ready to move, transition him out of the crib. If you feel he's not ready to move, then keep things the way they are.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:04 AM on May. 31, 2011

• We never used a toddler bed - unless you have a convertible crib that you aren't going to be using for a 2nd child, their just a waste of money. We always went straight to a twin or full size bed around 2.

Answer by missanc at 8:38 AM on May. 31, 2011

• My DS, wanted to sleep in a big bed right at the age of 2. In fact he's 2 1/2 right now and sleeps in a single bed. Not a toddler bed, he likes it more then a toddler bed. He doesn't roll off, but in the case that he did, we always put padding down on the floor, but he can climb on and off his bed as he pleases.
    Xtina0828

Answer by Xtina0828 at 8:54 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I moved my DD to a toddler bed at 18 mos.

My DS is sleeping on the bottom of a twin bunk bed. He is 12 mos old. I just moved him last week, when we got the bunk beds, for him and DD (who is now 4). He HATED his crib with a passion, and sleeps great in the bed so far. I gotta say, I'm HAPPY. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:28 PM on May. 31, 2011