Why so offensive?

Last night my husband and I were having a conversation...and I brought up that I would like to go to theraphy. (Not as a couple...but by myself) He got really wierd and started saying F*** that, I am not going I dont need someone telling me what to do BLAH BLAH BLAH...I then told him that I wanted it...he asked why, and I told him. ( He recently cheated) And he got really upset. Why would that make him mad...he doesnt talk to me enough, and I have alot of feelings about the whole situation...

MaMa2_DJ_IJ

Asked by MaMa2_DJ_IJ at 11:08 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• My guess is that he feels guilty and is lashing out to protect his ego. Or he may be afraid that a therapist will tell you to leave him. Regardless of his reasons, I would go ahead and make that appointment anyway. Sounds like an excellent idea to me.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Maybe he doesn't want people on the outside hearing about what he's done. He might be scared the therapist may convince you to leave him??
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• he is swimming in his own guilt, if you want counceling for yourself I say get it and make him understand that if you two are going to work things out then you need to understand why this all happened. Let him know that you two can't fix anything unless you fix yourself, and that goes for him also..Good luck
    a_l_daigle

Answer by a_l_daigle at 11:10 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree with all of the above statements
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• maybe he is afraid that the therapist will make you realize that you don't need him anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• therapist try really hard to resolve marriages not end them
    a_l_daigle

Answer by a_l_daigle at 11:24 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• HE cheated and wonders why YOU want to go to therapy?

Oh baby.........I am so sorry.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:28 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• GUILT, and you both should go
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• His pride and ego I think....he's probably afraid a therapist may stear you away from the relationship because he cheated...But if you feel therapy will help you heal the relationship, then I say go & try to explain to him again that it is in both your interest for you to go
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• he doesnt want his dirty laundry strung around town, if you need therapy please go no matter what he says, should make you happier and therefore make the marriage better... some guys struggle with admiting when there is problems that they cant fix. maybe it makes him feel that he isnt enough for you... i dunno i dont think it is offensive. maybe he is scared it will cause you to rethink your life and leave him... idk
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:35 AM on Dec. 9, 2008