S/O of gay questions; Where is your justification?

I just gotta wonder what bible some of you are reading that gives you the right to discriminate against gay people? I see alot of "christians" who are against gay rights, preach on how wrong it is and they are going to hell, ect. Where is it that gives you the right to mistreat anyone due to their "sin"? I'm a christian, I believe in the bible. We are all sinners. No one of our sins are bigger than the other. There are multiple verses that tell us not to judge, and to love one another.
Matthew 7
1Judge not, that ye be not judged.
2For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
Romans 2
1Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
James 4 11:12
11Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.
12There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another?
Ephesians 4-29 and 32
29Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
32And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
John 8-7
7So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
Galations 5-14
14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
1 john 3-17
17But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?
1 john 4-11
11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

There are more but that should be enough to make the point. So how do get past those verses?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I have a feeling there is going to be a whole lot of "Love the sinner hate the sin" cop out excuses. Funny, but I don't recall ever reading that passage in the Bible.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:52 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Haha, OP, ITA, and that's not even getting into the whole issue of the original language (like pederasty) not referring to homosexuality, but instead to ritual sex, pedophilia, prostitution, etc. Or the whole idea of Levitical law or any of the other issues or arguments against the idea of homosexuality being a sin. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:43 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Hey anon, this is for you: 3And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? 4Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? 5Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Romans 2

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:18 AM on May. 31, 2011

• That's not exactly what I was getting at - I was referring more to the POINT of Levitical law, and the idea of "abomination", not exactly what the passages say, since an understanding of what Levitical law is/was and what the idea of "abomination" pertained to helps us understand that homosexuality isn't a "sin" or "bad".

I like the quote used in For the Bible Tells Me So - It's not so much what the Bible READS, it's what the Bible SAYS/MEANS. Those unwilling to look at the original language, or who miss the point of Levitical law, (etc) are going to remain trapped in their anti-gay mentality....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:23 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I'm sure an explanation isn't what you are looking for.
    These posts are getting old. If you wanted a thoughtful answer, you would have asked a thoughtful question. But as with the conservatives in the political section here, you think you already have all the answers. Your questions are being used as a sword. If you'd like a well thought out answer, based on my religion's doctrine or view of the homosexuality, then ask the question in a way that isn't going to evoke answers like the ones in this thread.
    Your refusal to acknowledge different denominations of Christian, your failure to understand that all Christians do not think or speak or answer with the same mind, your determination to belittle is evident. Don't throw random biblical passages at people and then whine when they come back in another thread and use biblical passages as an answer.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:40 AM on May. 31, 2011

• One more thing- I think if you do not accept homosexuality- that is your right- however, it becomes a problem when you believe your religious views should influence the laws here in the US-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:52 AM on May. 31, 2011

• "The first known appearance of homosexual in print is found in an 1869 German pamphlet by the Austrian-born novelist Karl-Maria Kertbeny, published anonymously,[30] arguing against a Prussian anti-sodomy law"

sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:40 AM on May. 31, 2011

• OP, you're wasting your time. Judgemental christians seem to forget about their own abominations.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:10 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Leviticus isn't really the best source to justify your hatred against homosexuals, especially since it suggests killing your children for being disobedient and commiting mass murders against anyone who does not follow the word of God exactly as you do.  You also seemed to miss the point of all the other versus instructing you to love your neighbors as God loves you and leave the judging up to him. Just sayin.....

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 AM on May. 31, 2011

• >>> Accepting the person is a whole other thing. I accept that people are gay. I know quite a few, I don't dispute that they are. Never have. I don't hate them for who they are. Never have. My church accepts gays, it just doesn't condone the act. It has nothing to do with intrinsically who you are, it has to do with how you behave

I'm sorry but this is just a means of discriminating and justifying prejudices against gays while not openly admitting to it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:27 PM on May. 31, 2011