Tattoos and breast feeding

If you are breast feeding and get a tattoo, can it sour your milk? I read that it can but I'm not sure whether to believe it or not. I wanted to get my kid's name tattooed after I have it, I was planning on breast feeding for awhile. If it does, I don't want a tat til after I'm done!

SMC112011

Asked by SMC112011 at 2:07 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Gen

Answer by Gen at 2:12 AM on May. 31, 2011

• It's more about infection risk than the flavor that is usually the concern.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:15 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 2:24 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Tattoo ink has mercury in it as well as other chemicals and considering people usually bleed during getting a tattoo it's going into your blood and then all over your body. I don't know for certain if it would end up in your milk but my bet would be yes and I know I wouldn't want to feed my baby mercury. I think it would be best to wait. You also still need to be careful about what you eat, drink, etc. while breast feeding just like while pregnant.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:06 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I planned on getting a tattoo afterwards also but considering i am breastfeeding its not a good idea. bummer for me and you
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 4:47 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The only "risk" is the risk of getting an infection, and then passing it to baby, but you really shouldn't have that risk with a reputable tattoo artist.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• i would just wait till ur done breastfeeding to be safe
    Jssg1986

Answer by Jssg1986 at 6:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I have no idea
    Jerichos_Mommy

Answer by Jerichos_Mommy at 9:59 PM on Jun. 2, 2011