Stopped BF, what do I need to do?

My LO was in the NICU and it got to stressful for both of us for me to BF him even if I had a nipple shield. I pumped for the two weeks that we were in the hospital, but i never got much. Since we've been home I've pumped a few times cause I still couldn't get him to latch, but still didn't really get anything. Now I've stopped all together, should I be concerned about anything though I'm not in any pain and my breasts aren't hard?

fritobaby04

Asked by fritobaby04 at 2:07 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, it's more about easing the pain of engorgement, if you experience it, which you may still. I'm sorry to hear that breastfeeding didn't work out for you guys. I can't imagine that kind of stress! I hope everything is going smoothly now that your LO is home.
    If you're not having any problems, I wouldn't worry too much about our breasts. If you have pain, you can take care of it at home with a shower or hand expression, but if you get mastitis, marked with local pain that's pretty bad with flu-like symptoms, you need to get seen, and you may need antibiotics.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 AM on May. 31, 2011

• All I can say is at least you tried hun. Great job. You did what he needed. Now it sounds like theres nothing you can do. Everything will be fine.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 6:28 AM on May. 31, 2011

• If you feel fine, then there isn't much you NEED to do, just make sure to wear a supportive, well fitting bra. And know that even though you've stopped, if you decide you want to try again once he's a little older and stronger, you CAN. Should you experience any pain or engorgement, you can take Motrin, use cabbage leaves in your bra, a few other things but don't worry about that unless you start feeling uncomfortable.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:24 PM on May. 31, 2011