Tiny poops every 5 minutes?!?

My son is 3 years old, and I can not get him to stop pooping tiny little amounts every 5-10 minutes. Right after I change him, he poops again. This has been going on for WEEKS. We're going through underwear and diapers like water and I just can't keep up with it. He knows to go in the potty, yet he hides when he has to poop. So I put a diaper on him and told him it's okay to poop in the diaper, and that I just wanted him to go. He will go just enough to stink up any room he's in so I have to change him, only for him to poop and stink some more. I have a 1 year old and another baby on the way. I am so overwhelmed and stressed out from continuously cleaning up poop that I literally cry on a daily basis over it. I need help, NOW. I've done all that I can and really can't think of anything else I can do to help him have regular movements. He has plenty of water and fiber in his diet. Maybe he's holding it in and just letting little bits out at a time?? I don't know, but it has to stop otherwise I fear for my sanity. Any advice will be appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:26 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 3 y/o has just gotten comfortable pooping in the potty and she has gone from a once a day pooper to pooping a small amount everytime she goes potty. I think that they are just practicing gaining control of their bodies. Put him on a potty schedule and give him a small reward (sticker, smiley face, etc) everytime he goes the entire potty time without pooping in his clothes (maybe every 20 min to start, then work your way up to an hour). And don't go back to diapers, tackle the potty issue before the new baby comes! Trust me you are not alone, I have a 3 y/o and 11 mo old twins. It will get better.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 7:35 AM on May. 31, 2011

• My 2 yo seems to poop almost everytime she pees & I've told her it's a bit unusual but not a problem (I'm definitely not a poop once-a-day mom! sorry if tmi). I'm assuming she'll restrict her pooping in a while but I don't think it's anything to be worried about whatever happens. If they need to go, it's better to do so than hold it in.
    stace101

Answer by stace101 at 7:46 AM on May. 31, 2011

• It sounds like an attention and stress thing for him...like, poop is the one thing he can control, and it guarantees him attention from you in a situation where both of you are feeding off of each others stress. There are articles on "Bowel Movement Resistance" and potty training regression, just google the two terms and see if that info helps you.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 10:30 PM on May. 31, 2011