Anyone know about the HDTV conversion...

It's set to occur in Feb 2009 - all stations will be broadcasting in HD.

Currently I have Verizon Fios Service and we have the "regular" channels and then further down the list they are repeated for their HD counterparts...Does anyone know if after the conversion if our "channel lists" will then be reduced as there will no longer be any need to broadcast on two stations???

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Entertainment

• Not in HD but digital, two different things.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Geez - I'm so confused! Is the Fiber Optics from the Fios the same as Digital?
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:50 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Since the very beginning of TV, stations have broadcast in Analog. Now, they will be switching to Digital. That is what is happening in February.
    If you have an older, non-digital TV AND you use an antenna on the roof or rabbit ears on the set then you will need to get a converter box. https://www.dtv2009.gov/
    If you have an older, non-digital TV AND you use cable or satelite, then you are PROBABLY fine. The big cable and satelite companies will convert the signal for you. The small, local companies may not do this so be sure to ask your company about it.

Fiber optic cables can send both analog and digital signals so the type of physical cable coming to your home does not matter.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• As another poster said, digital and HD are different. Regular TV (either analog or digital) is about 640 pixels by 480 pixels. That's how many little dots make up the picture. Go ahead - press your nose to your TV screen and look at all the tiny dots. HD TV's have about 4 times that number. Once the conversion happens, you will probably still have the same lineup - some stations will broadcast in both standard def and in high def (HD).

Hope that helps!
    kaycee14

• Once the conversion happens, you will probably still have the same lineup - some stations will broadcast in both standard def and in high def (HD).
    ________________________________________________________

That's basically what I was asking I guess; thanks! We have a HDTV and HD digital service thru the Fios box; I was just wondering about the channels and if I'd still have two stations a "regular" and an HD version and it looks like you're all saying I will -- thanks! =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We have never paid for television before and having to get a converter box really chapped my A$$.

That being said, I love the closed captioning!

Your channel list should remain the same since not everyone broadcasts in HD.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2008