What do you do before a trip?

I have a trip coming up (9 days) and I was wondering what others do to prep before it. I empty trash, litter box, do all of the laundry and dishes, clean the entire house, prep the food for the pets, make sure the porch, line and drive are all clear, water the plants, time water the garden and if my SO isn't coming prepare lunches for his work days and a few simple meals for his dinners.
SO says I stress him out before a trip with my running around...I say that I would rather come back to a clean house so I can unwind from the trip.
So what do you do?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 7:54 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Travel

• I Empty garbage, wash clothes, and dishes. I don't merry maid clean the house but I do clean up before I leave. Its 5 of us so when we get home from a trip all I want to mess with is the abundant amount of luggage we bring back.
    alboston

Answer by alboston at 8:02 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Just about the same as you except I board my dogs. I also make sure there are general items in the fridge that when we come home I dont have to run to the grocery except stop at the convenience store for milk. Safe and fun travels!
    dys-shattered

Answer by dys-shattered at 8:10 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Pretty much the same thing you do. I don't want to come back from vacation to a dirty house.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:15 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I totally am with you. I too want to come home to a clean house. Most of our summer trips are going to the cabin. It is different because you have to bring everything you will need. It is a portage or fly-in lake only. I round up the totes, prepare foods, make lists, organize clothes ( then usually wear all of my SOs' warm clothes after we get there) , clean the house, bathe the dogs, pack all of my reading and relaxing material, if it dries up- mow the lawn, This year is bringing extra fun as we just moved here last fall. This week I have been unpacking and organizing. I forgot how much time and work it took to get settled into a new place. It is funny how nice the 1st things one packs is, I am down to the few boxes and totes that were at the tail end of packing, it has been interesting :-) So today I will finish the final sorting as well as clean and get clothes ready.... happy traveling :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:19 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Out of curiousity, where are you going?
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 8:21 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I make sure the dishes are done, take the trash out, and lock the doors. That's about it.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:22 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I clean as much as possible.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I do a lot of what you do.

I have a checklist template on my computer (because I am a NERD!) that I customize for each trip to make sure I've done and packed everything. Trip packing starts with me on my computer, and it helps everyone else in the house know what needs to be done (and when), and what needs to be packed (and where).

Some things on my list:
    Week before - stop mail, set up someone to take out/bring back trash and recyclables the first week (if gone for more than one week),

Night before - clean out fridge, take out garbage, put all clothes in suitcases, set out everything but perishable foods, plug in elec. cooler,

Just before we leave - set all timers; turn off hot water heater; turn up/down thermostat so as to not comfort the house, just keep it ok; pack cold foods in cooler; pack the car; GO TO THE BATHROOM! Everyone! Yes, you too. :-)

As soon as home: Turn on HW heater and AC/heat, unpack car befo
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2011