did your dr give you a prescription for multivitamin

My son just had his 1 year checkup yestrday and the dr told us we can start him on milk once we have finish all of the formula we have left but once we do start him on milk we have to also give him a multivitamin because the milk isn't vitamin fortified. So I was wonder once tyour child switch to milk did your dr give them a prescription or tell you to start the mulitivitamin.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• HI!!! Yes my pediatrician gave me an RX for both of my kids for a multi-vitamin with fluoride! It wasn't easy giving it to them though! It was disgusting!
    HatzoldMom

Answer by HatzoldMom at 8:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My oldest daughter's Pedi told us that; but the vitamins were really expensive for the amt you got. We didn't use them...the new pedi with my LO didn't mention it at all and he told us we could put her on milk @ 9mos! Although we waitied til 15 mos; but...
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:38 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• they didn't tell me it was because of the milk ours was the fluoride multivitamin our waters does not have fluoride in it. that's weird i would think milk plus all the veggies that kids would have enough in their diet.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:41 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• no they said to buy an over the counter liquid baby vitimine and put it in his drinks. he would not eat it! so when he got enough teeth we went to the flinstones' gummys they are good! i eat them too.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Aubrey's first pedi said to put her on a vitamin since she was on milk at about 10 months. I never did though, and her new doctor either never said anything or said that it is not necessary at this age. I don't remember if he said they are not necessary or not, but I did hear a pedi say that.
    Kealie

Answer by Kealie at 11:43 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Our doc said dd is fine and doesn't need the vitamin. She only needs it when she's sick b/c she tends to get anemic then. He recommended polyvisol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My pedi did the same as yours. My daughter gets her vitamins every day and hasn't had a problem with them. Oh, and ours have fluoride in them also since we don't have it in the water.
    Meg8760

Answer by Meg8760 at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• No they didn't tell me anything about the vitamins.
    ronronsbeauty

Answer by ronronsbeauty at 12:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My daughters doctor never mentioned vitamins, just said to give her whole milk instead of 2%.
    hanasmommie

Answer by hanasmommie at 12:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• my doc gave us flouride multivitamins to take. but just because the fouride with help his teeth and such, i don't think he NEEDS it though.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 1:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2008