What can you do for 'swimmer's ear'?

It could be an ear infection, as he's had those, but he's never complained with pain before this. He spent about two hours in a pool last evening, and has been bothered all night with ear pain.
We'll go to a clinic, as we're out of town (of course!)..but thought i'd ask for advice here, while he's finally sleeping.

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 8:31 AM on May. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• There is an over the counter medicine called, oddly enough, "Swimmer's ear". It used to be available at Walmart, and we used it all the time after the children got out of the pool.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:37 AM on May. 31, 2011

• You can try that but I would go to the dr. I have had this happen and one of the kids busted an ear drum from jumping in and out of the water with too much force and going to the deep end. I would have it checked out before putting anything in the ear because it could harm it if the ear drum is damaged.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on May. 31, 2011

• i got that all the time as a kid, my mom gave me eardrops called "Swimmer's Ear" as a pp said and they're OTC.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:41 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Since there is pain I would go to the doc first. We used swimmer's ear too.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 9:02 AM on May. 31, 2011

• try the swimmers eat stuff and some tylenol for the pain and if it doesnt go away in a couple days take him to doc.
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:20 AM on May. 31, 2011

• They used to put hydrogen peroxide in our ears as kids and it would get rid of it instantly. I don't know how recommended it is or isn't but it worked for us and I didn't lose hearing LOL.

I would try the swimmers ear drops too.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:50 AM on May. 31, 2011

• One of the moms in our girl scout troop is a family doctor and her daughter got swimmers ear while we were on a weekend trip with all the girls. We called her mom and she said to put either hydrogen peroxide or alcohol in it. Luckily we had peroxide and it worked.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:57 AM on May. 31, 2011

• go to clinic
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 4:29 PM on May. 31, 2011

• oh yeah the peroxde works too forgot
    critter_boo

• OMG, I just went through this, if there is pain, Im afraid I have to say becareful, but if no pain, go ahead and put a few drops of peroxide, this will clean out the ear canal, let it sit for 1 minute and have him turn his head so it comes out, this should do it, but if it hurts hes gonna need antibiotic, it could easily be an infection. good luck.
    pook003

Answer by pook003 at 5:38 PM on May. 31, 2011