What type of allergy over the counter meds, works best for my nine year olds? I feel so bad, they are feeling the seasonal allergies bad!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Kids' Health

• this would be an excellent question for a pediatrician or pharmacist.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:38 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I use Zyrtec for children. I have heard allegra works well too. You can buy it at CVS over the counter.

Answer by gemgem at 8:39 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Is Zyrtec ok for a nine year old? I was thinking that..but thought it would be to strong. And to Tnm786, I did ask the doctor...and apparently they dont really know because they told me benodryl. Umm, ya...that just slowed them down. So I need something else. Sometimes moms have to take it in their own hands, and get something that works.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:41 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Our doctor prescribed a prescription medicine. The pharmacist gives us back the drs prescription a said that the medication in an OTC. Zyrtec, Benadril, Claritin. Depending on your child's symptoms and what he/she is allergic to. Symptoms are from itchy eyes, itchy nose, sore throat, headaches, stomachache, runny nose, coughing, etc.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:46 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Typos again! Sorry, must be my cell. LOL
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:47 AM on May. 31, 2011

• So not sure of your answer lol. So what did you end up giving your child...after the pharmacist gave you back the prescription?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:49 AM on May. 31, 2011

• We ended up giving antihistimine which is the active ingredient.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 8:52 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Zyrtec and clariton and I think allegra are all made in childrens formulas and are the best because they don't cause drowsiness
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:07 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Benadryl is also good but can make you tired and it only lasts about 6 hours
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:08 AM on May. 31, 2011

• My DS was on Zyrtec syrup (not OTC) when he was 6-7. Personally I take Claritin-D 24 hour OTC meds and they work pretty well.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:45 PM on May. 31, 2011