• In the Spotlight:

Did you scream during labor?

lol when I think back on my labor I imagine myself screaming really really loud

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, screaming makes it worse. I had no pain meds and didn't scream. I think it's ridiculous and idiotic when moms (especially who gets EPIS!) scream. Thats so stupid.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 11:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I didn't even make a sound.. I was just crying to myself..... Well I screamed at my mother to take the darn blood pressure thing off my arm because it was getting on my nerves thats about it.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:53 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yep I did with 4 of them. I had an epidural twice (last two kids) and I didnt scream with #4 because the epidural was right, with the 5th though they messed it up I could feel everything on my left side. I do recall screaming with most of the kids LOL and begging for pain meds.

Answer by gemgem at 11:54 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i yelled at people to be quiet it was the only way i could stay calm and when people were quiet i wouldn't be nauseated so yes i yelled a lot
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 11:55 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Not during labor but definitely during delivery! I went natural so when she was coming out hell yes I screamed! :)
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 11:59 AM on Dec. 9, 2008

• oh yea, that's what I meant DURING delivery
    Anonymous

• no, i just remember saying ow.. ow.. ow.. near the end.
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 12:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I had an epidural my first baby. I remember my husband and I looking at each other and thinking that it was not so bad and could not understand why everyone made a big deal about it. But after delivering my second daughter I understand. IAfter being in induced, in labor for over 24 hours, an epidural that did not take, and a nurse who I hated your darn right I screamed. Again, the labor itself was not bad and I handled very well but freaked out when I realized my epidural did not work. The biggest thing I learned was you need to be prepared to deliver naturally even if you plan to get an epidural. That was my biggest problem. I go the epidural at 3:30 at 5 cm and delivered at 4:10. I was not mentally prepared to deliver naturally. After my first epidural going so smoothly I did not anticipate it not working on my second.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 12:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I screamed twice. Once for the head and once for the shoulders. I tore, too. Rest of the time I was concentrating on pushing. No drugs, either. If I had the epi, I probably wouldnt' have screamed at all. I wanted it, baby just came to fast.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My mom said my stepsister screamed so loud that it almost stopped her labor from progressing. She kept screaming and wailing about how much it hurt and she was crying and saying that she couldn't push because it hurt so bad. Now...she had an epidural and she was only 34 weeks. I don't think it could have hurt THAT bad, compared to how some people do at 40 weeks completely natural with huge babies. I understand that everyone has a different level of pain tolerance, but YEESH. Apparently my mom yelled right back at her and told her that she would have to have a c-section if she didn't push the baby out, no matter how bad it hurt. That gave her incentive and she shut up and pushed, lol.

I have a feeling I'm going to be afraid to scream. I'll probably keep it all in and whine and moan a little, lmao.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 12:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008