I think my water's leaking.. Long story but please take the time to read it.

I am 36 weeks pregnant. I am extremely uncomfortable with my contractions that I have been having for weeks. My mucous plug has been falling out, and i swore last night that my water was leaking. I went to the bathroom and I sat on the toilet 10 minutes after doing my business and I just kept leaking on and off. I just got sick of it so I just got up and went back into the living room with my Fiance. I felt myself leak again and so I went back onto the toilet and liquid gushed out and then leaked out on and off again. This went on for 2 hours and I went through almost 10 pairs of underwear. The liquid had absolutely NO color and NO odor, so it wasnt pee.(a lot of times my little one will be on my bladder and when I go to the bathroom there is some pee on my underwear because he pushed it out and I didnt know..but this was nothing like that). I called my doctor and he told me to go into labor and delivery at my hospital and have them check me. I had my sister in law with me and she swears it was my water too because this is exactly how it happened with her last child, there was just a small pin-hole like tear in her water so it depended on what position she was in and such for the water to leak out. Mine mainly came out when I was in a squatting position like on the toilet or something. However, the hospital did the amnisure test with the swab and came back and told me that my water didnt break. They told me that if I had sex recently that it could be the sperm coming out, or basically that I have been peeing myself for hours. I wasnt happy with what they told me at all. I know what pee looks like and smells like and it was NOT pee, and there is no way I had that much fluid in me to be leaking those amounts for that period of time, and deffinately wasnt sperm either. They sent me home and the leaking continued when I got home.. I went to sleep and when I woke up I went to the bathroom and when I wiped it looked like a bunch of clear snot. My mucous plug has been falling out periodically over the past week or so, so Im assuming it was more of my mucous plug. But I am SO confused! I know in my gut that I was not just peeing myself last night.. and I have pains in my lower back and front that feel like bad period cramps, which my doctor has told me are contractions but just small ones so they arent serious. My doctor says he thinks I wont make it to full term, but I dont see why if nothing is happening..
I was so upset when I got home last night that I cried my eyes out in my bedroom. I was so happy that I would be coming home with my baby boy, and it didnt happen. I am so uncomfortable and achey and depressed(I have depression and anxiety), and I want this pregnancy over with. My little man is 6+ lbs, so its not like its unsafe for him to come out now.
I was wondering if anyone else had an experience with the leakage thing like I did last night.
And I was also wondering if anyone has any experience with Caster Oil to jumpstart labor? I have heard many people swear by it that it works within hours, but Id like the opinions of you fellow Momma's and possibly and experience stories?
And thank you for reading all of this, I know it is long and I apologize but I wanted to give you as much information as I could so that you can give me your best advise.

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 10:08 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Call your doctor's office this morning and talk to one of the nurses.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:12 AM on May. 31, 2011

• If I were you, I would either go back to L&D after shift change or go to another hospital. The chances of infection are high once your water breaks. Doctors and nurses are not always right. I always get thumbed down for that, but we wouldn't have law suits if they were right all the time. I know a girl that went in at 4 months and they did the test and said it was her water and it wasn't. From what you describe it does sound like your water has broken. Sperm is not enough to soak that many panties and you would smell that too. The fact that it is coming out with pressure and it's coming on it's own is more proof that it is probably your water. You are far enough along and there is nothing to worry about at this point. Good luck mommy!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:18 AM on May. 31, 2011

• To me it sounds like you are leaking amniotic fluid. Is the fluid sort of shiny looking?

The same thing happened to me. I had a small tear. I ended up wearing a maxi pad because it was constantly dribbling out. I called the hospital and they told me to come in. They did a pH test, took a piece of litmus paper and put some of the fluid on it and I guess it looked suspect. So they took a sample and put it on a microscope slide and did a ferning test. When amniotic fluid spreads out on a slide it makes the pattern of fern leaves. Mine was positive, they started me on pitocin and I had my son 17 hours later!

I would call your doc again.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:18 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I know that you are uncomfortable and irritated. But do not do the castor oil thing unless instructed by your doctor/midwife. Let your child bake as long as possible. He may be over 6lbs, but that is just an estimate and no one will know unless he is out and weighed. His lungs might not be completely developed at this point either. Every day he stays in is better for him.

Call your OB office and see what they say. They may have you come in and do tests. In the meantime, use a pad to save some undie changes.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:20 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I just wanted to add that it is really important for you to find out because there is a serious risk of infection. After you deliver, they will look at your placenta to see if there is any bacteria growing on either end and if there is, you and your baby will have to have antibiotics. So I agree with attap5, don't leave until they give you an answer or go to another doc.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 10:21 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I would call your Doctors office now & go in ASAP so he can check you. You need to relax and be calm. You have made it this far so I would not resort to any drastic measures like castor oil. The baby will come when he/she is ready & you need to be patient. Let the Dr. check you & the baby today and as long as the baby is not experiencing any distress (which the Dr. will check for) you'll both be fine.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:21 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Im confused though because Im not leaking today like I was last night.. thats why I havent called my doctor.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 10:35 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Late-pregnancy vaginal discharge can do that.
    And even if it IS your amniotic fluid it still doesn't mean it's Time to labor and to deliver.

Your baby is still inside for an important reason, saying it's "safe" to deliver now is not necessarily so.
    Maybe your baby is 6 pounds, but that could still mean weeks in NICU.
    Maybe baby is 4 pounds or 7 pounds. We can't KNOW until delivery.

If you're no longer leaking then your hormonal adjustments may be causing the discharge fluctuation or the hole to reseal if it's AF.
    Water leaking doesn't mean labor for 1 in 10 so we can't assume it's Time.

You can continue to observe and monitor, record temperature and fluid if you like, the normal things we do after a rupture.
    This is what I have done when I tested positive (and was gushing).
    It was messy and I went through a lot of laundry everyday and many boxes of maxi pads...
    C'est la vie.
    ;- /

Be
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:46 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I would have them check you again to be sure, but sometimes discharge can do that also. I was SURE I leaking fluid toward the end of my first pregnancy, but alas, it was not so. That little booger stayed in there until 41 weeks and a day. Also, I do not trust those weight estimates AT ALL. I have never personally met anyone who had them spot on. My cousin had a C-section at 39 weeks because her baby was just sooooo huge, and he was 7 lbs. My daughter was estimated to weight roughly 6 and a half pounds...she was actually 9 and a half. That's three pounds off! Lastly, and while slightly embarrassing, sometimes pee is odorless if you are drinking enough water. I once leaked...ahem... from that area and would have SWORE on a holy book that it was coming from...elsewhere. If you are really worried, ask your doctor for an u/s to check fluid levels. I would NOT rush labor at 36 weeks. Those methods won't work unless ur ready anyway.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I was leaking fluid for 3 weeks I would call the Dr. my son almost died from it so CALL THE DR.
    mykids060911

Answer by mykids060911 at 12:56 PM on May. 31, 2011