Can anyone help with a defiant 3 yr old boy (4 in Aug.)? I put him in a time out & he mouths off saying " I wont sit" or what I ask he answers back

I usually make the time out longer but he keeps getting up, running around....I don't want to be mad at him all the time & nasty towards him because he makes me sooo angry...Any advice would be a life SAVER.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ..don't let him get to you, mama. He's a boy and he's learning boundaries. It's a pain in the ass, but what you're gonna have to do is take him back to time out; every time. Don't get mad, don't feed on his energy and don't let him feed off of yours. Just put him back in time out.. then walk away. Even if you have to do it all day, over and over, every damn day. It won't take him long to realize it's not fun to stay in time out all day long. Beyond that, make a GREAT BIG POSTER CHART WITH STICKY STARS and give him a star for 'good behavior' rather than punishing him for bad behavior? if he says 'thank you', give him a star.. with lots of fanfare and excitement. if he helps with cleaning up his messes, give him a star.. hell, even if he takes a time out like a good little fella, give him a star for 'being a man'. sigh.. its hard work making a good man out of a perfectly normal, unruly little boy.. good luck, mama.
    eatapeach

Answer by eatapeach at 11:07 AM on May. 31, 2011

• If time outs aren't working perhaps try a loss of priviledges, such as 30 minutes of no tv or a certain toy. If he continues to act up, make it an hour, or 2, then take it away for the day.....and stick to it, don't let him "earn it back" or get it back early, that just shows him he can always get out of whatever punishment you give him
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:02 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I know how that is! Been there! I don't think theres a perfect answer on how to fix it either...its all about trial and error..what works for some may not work for others.
    When he starts mouthing off and running around, ignore him and start grabbing up his favorite posessions and tossing them in a box to take out to the garage.When he stops and asks what you are doing, you say"Well, youre choosing to misbehave, you are to be in a time out right now and since you are not listening, I am choosing to take away your things." And keep going until he sits.Once he sits, put the box down and tell him "Now, we'll see if you can earn these back." ANd keep going.Try not to lose your cool and yell..I think thats almost what they want,lol.
    good Luck!!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:04 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Do you want to be mad at him all the time right now or the rest of your life? Set a timer and everytime he gets up set him back down and reset the timer. Everytime he talks set the timer. Don't say a word to him. This will go on for a while. He might be setting there all day or for 2 or 3 days. Let him know you mean buisness and he is not going to win. DO NOT TALK TO HIM. He will eventually get it.
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 11:14 AM on May. 31, 2011