Adoption Enquiry?

I was just wondering, when I mother or mother and father decided to give a baby up for adoption is the child able to go through the adoption agency to try and find their real parents or information if that child has no knowledge about where they came from etc.

loriv_x

Asked by loriv_x at 11:01 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Adoption

• It depends on if it is an open adoption or the records are sealed. Some people find their biological parents regardless now since the days of the internet.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 11:51 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes a child has the right and can look for their biological family. There are a lot of different ways they can do so, and each state has specific laws. Sometimes the birth parents need to sign a letter of intent to release information to the child through state, other times the adoption agency can provide some information (although I've heard that most of the important information is blacked out). I'm sure others here can give you more information, but ultimately if the child wishes to search they can and should have every right to know where they came from.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:43 PM on May. 31, 2011

• If they're lucky enough to be born in Alaska, Oregon, Kansas, Alabama, New Hampshire and Maine, they can order a copy of their Original Birth Certificate and find their birth parents names. Otherwise they can inquire at the agency to see if their bparents left information for them. If they are unlucky enough to be born in Texas they will be required to go to a physiatrist to determine if they are sane enough to have their parents information. :-C
    There are also reunion registries that they can join. If the bparents are registered they will be reunited that way.
    Here is the address of the Adoption Search Resource group on CM http://www.cafemom.com/group/35065
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

• If an agency was used, it is the best place to begin a search. Some agencies in some states that allow it will do searches, but, they will most likely charge a hefty sum. Agencies usually provide what is called non identifying info, which provides some details about the birth family, but, not enough details to identify them. Getting the non-id info though can be useful though and is a good first step.

Some agencies are far more helpful than others in providing information for adoptees.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 9:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:36 PM on Jun. 2, 2011

• From personal experience, I know that some agencies give false information to people searching for their family. The agency I went through wanted to charge my son for my information, even though it was all right there in my file ~ which I kept updated always.

When I went to counseling after reunion at another "Christian" agency, the counselor told me that if a search is successful, but the found party is angry or bitter about the other party in the adoption, they will tell the searcher that the search was unsuccessful in order to "save" the searching party from the heartache of a failed reunion. They ASSUME that the reunion will be unsuccessful if both parties do not have the "rainbows and sunshine" mentality regarding adoption.

Don't fully believe everything an adoption agency may tell you.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 2, 2011