Do you love God but hate the Bible's interpretation of him/her?

Don't get me wrong. There are a few scriptures in the Bible that I do like and try to use in my daily life, but as far as anything that is written about God and Jesus I think was just used as a scare tactic at the time it was written.

I love God but I don't like one individual's interpretation of Himand I don't like that there are religious figures who try to shove their beliefs of what the Word of God means down my throat. I don't believe God treats us like a flock of sheep. IF he wanted us to be his flocks of sheep he would've made us flock of sheep and not individual people. I believe he speaks to each our hearts. And since God is powerful, he doesn't need another man to interpret his words for him.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 11:09 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think the OP has a personal relationship with "god" and has stepped away from thinking in the box and believing everything someone shoves down her throat. She recognizes that the bible was written by man, edited by man, interpreted by man and corrupted by man. She is simply stating some things she gets while the rest she does not and that is perfectly fine because that is HER belief. While I too was down that road but no longer believe any of it, who am I to say she is wrong?
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 4:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• Well as you know I don't believe in God. As for the Bible, I don't think it has it's own interpretation as two people never get the same thing out of it, but rather it is people's interpretations of the Bible and of God that many find disagreeance with. I feel that how a person portrays their God and their Bible is a direct reflection of the individual themselves and thus the individual is where to place the blame for any unsavory opinions formed of any God based on their own representation of what that God is about. It is really an inner reflection of the "believer" themselves and has nothing to do with their religious beliefs.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:16 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I love God and I feel good about how I interpret the Bible and His word-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:35 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I love God, and my interpretation doesn't conflict with that. Now, I do dislike the interpretations that some others often project.... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I don't believe in god and don't believe in other people's interpretations of written words.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:22 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I agree. The message has been polluted by different religious groups and sects and individuals to conform to their own private agendas. AND, when the Bible was written, it was written by ordinary people with their own flawed memories and their own fantasies of what they wished was the truth. Today we can get too many versions of what the Bible says or what the Book Of Mormon says or what the Quran says...etc. Its all in the interpretation and is no longer purely God's word.For example: Some churches are now saying that Jesus is God. BUT that was never true in the majority of religions....GOD is God and Jesus is the SON of God. That is one of the most glaring examples of how religions have been warped and twisted. And the Bible (or any other religious book) can twist and change passages to discriminate against individuals,groups and nations. We see that all the time and it is the reason I no longer attend any church.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:24 AM on May. 31, 2011

• No. I believe in God, and I believe that the Bible is a true account of Jesus' life here on earth and what is to come. I do however believe that different religions have picked and chosen what they want to believe and follow. You can't just pick and choose what scripture you want to use for your own means. I try very hard not to allow other peoples interpretation of the Word influence me.
    ShelbysHope76

Answer by ShelbysHope76 at 11:49 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Nope, there's lots of stuff that is talked about and forbidden or encouraged in the bible that I wish weren't. Unfortunately, I don't get to make up what and who God is. He speaks to each of us, of course. But sometimes it's hard to discern what is our mind and selfish desires and what is God's. That's what open minded prayer and meditation is and does for you, it helps you sort out the crap that is from you from The Word that is from God
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:12 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Because Eilish, I don't believe that is what he's saying about himself. THat's what some guy on a mountain thinks he said about himself and then used it to scare the hell out of people so they'll listen to him and give him their money. >>>
    I'm sorry, and I don't mean this in a nasty way, but you show very little knowledge of the bible from comments like this.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• And since God is powerful, he doesn't need another man to interpret his words for him.
    >>>
    It's not about what he needs.. it's about our infantile brains needing the help
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 12:16 PM on May. 31, 2011