High unemployment & under the gun - How to keep nerves in check?

The unemployment rate around my area is about 10%. I've been applying in person, online, and interviewing like crazy. But still unemployed with no promise of work currently. Moving will be very difficult because I'm very broke.

I have worked as a bookkeeper, a web consultant, web freelance, and an event coordinator. I have been applying at fast food restaurants lately and still have not landed a job.

I have entertained a dangerous thought of leaving in the middle of the night to a city with better economy, just to stay at a shelter while finding work.

I am in debt and seriously need to start paying, but I have no income.

How do I keep my nerves in check (highly stressed out)?
If I'm in debt, does leaving (in a leap of faith) to a better city sound reasonable to you?
How to explain to "family" that I cannot find a job (that love does not pay the bills)?

My daughter is in college, so I have no kids to worry about (other than my daughter's remainder expenses after fafsa).

THanks in advance

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Money & Work

• My answer to you is just don't worry about what you cannot control, and control is an illusion, because really, what CAN we control? Stay in contact with those you owe money too, so they know your situation and pay what you can, but don't stress out because it's only money! I wouldn't relocate. Contacts are what get you jobs! Go to your church, your friends, family, everyone you know, and tell them that you need work! Old co-workers, professional contacts, etc. Don't sit at home, get out and talk to people! That is how you find a job.

My husband was out of work for two years. He retrained from carpenter to HVAC. It took a while, but we lived with my MIL while he did it. We owe everyone, mostly for medical bills, but $20 a mos was enough to keep most people happy. Food stamps helped. Good luck with what you decide, but remember that this is a temporary situation, and remember to breathe!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 2:08 PM on May. 31, 2011