I am sad today...

I have known that my dad is sick and that his cancer will eventually kill him, but I guess I have been in denial about how long eventually is. I thought we would have until Christmas, but it looks like we will lose him before summer is out.
I am so sad. I want to spend every minute with him, but he is too weak for visitors. I have spent a lot of time with them in the past year, but I want to be there now. Not just for Dad, but for my mom as well. She is going crazy with grief and worry.
He had a busy weekend with visitors from out of town, so he needs his rest. I will see him tomorrow, but it doesn't seem close enough.

I know this isn't a question, just a reminder to hold the ones you love close, you won't have them forever.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• death is never easy. but i suppose there is the smallest of silver linings that you get to have some time with your dad beforehand he's gone. anyone I've ever lost has been so abrupt and i never got to say goodbye.

hang in there, girl. you've got lots of hugs and good thoughts coming your way.
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 12:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I'm sorry :( I'm sending you good energy
    proudmom717

Answer by proudmom717 at 11:46 AM on May. 31, 2011

• That's awesome u have a good relationship with your folks. I don't.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:47 AM on May. 31, 2011

• Sending you best wishes, don't beat yourself up about it, your Dad knows that your doing all you can, hugs sent you you and your family.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:49 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I lost my dad to cancer in 1998. Unfortunately we had a falling out about a year before that and I didn't talk to him for a long time. A lot of time was wasted. I did see him quite a bit in the last few months. My heart goes out to you. My advice is....go over there. I know he is tired..but you can be there for your mom. Your family needs to lean on each other at a time like this. Just don't create extra work. My dad's mother (evil woman...not a grandma) spent a ton of time at our house. She was horrible. She created so much extra work for my mom that it was insane.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:49 AM on May. 31, 2011

• My dad came back from overseals deployment in AP. 2010 the day before my DS was born, he and my mom drove to TX and spent 2 1/12 weeks wiht us, and we flew home to get married in July 2010, flew back to TX and both of my fav. Grandparents passed away and the day after my dads mom passed, he got the news he was in stage 4 lung cancer, we made the emergency move back to ohio and spent a precious 4 months wtih my dad before he passed away in Jan. Spend every minute you can with him, my dad we sang hymns and just read to him, talked to him, and helped take care of him. My heart aches so much for you right now, and while we dont know each other, I know exactly what your feeling, so my advice let him know you love him before he doesnt understand, and if you do hosice, they will tel you hearing is the last thing to go, so talk to him often! Sending huges and prayers of comfort your way!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 2:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Sending you hugs.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 11:45 AM on May. 31, 2011

• yes i cant stress this enough about how to make every moment count everyday .....my prayers are with you and your family..... i also lost a sister to cancer she was only 29
    barrerajuls

Answer by barrerajuls at 11:48 AM on May. 31, 2011

• I am very sorry for your loss I know what you mean I lost my grandfather to cancer in 2010 on thanksgiving day so I know what you mean its tough just try to keep your family together and you guys will get through this
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 12:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I haven't talked to my Dad in months, my sister and I are having a hard time with him right now over some stuff he did. But you are giving great advice. My Dad's brother died about two months ago, he was ill, but it was still unexpected. We think about this situation every day. Hugs to you and your family...
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 12:03 PM on May. 31, 2011