Odd sense of humor or....crazy?

A coworker of my DH stopped by our house last night and brought his girlfriend. I've met her, but we don't really know one another. While DH and her bf were talking in the dining room, she joined me in the den. I was flipping through the channels, but since I don't really know what she likes, I picked something neutral: the local news. We were making small talk when they showed on the news that a 5 year old had died after being struck by a drunk driver. We briefly talked about how horrible that would be, and how we couldn't imagine losing our children (she has 2 kids, I think). The, she said "Ya know, the upside to that would be that because I don't eat when I'm depressed, I'd be able to lose this last 10 lbs. if my son died. HAHAHAHA!" I just stared at her, and the last bit of time she was there was spent in an awkward silence. WTH? I have a very broad sense of humor, but I couldn't find anything funny about that - and it was so tasteless, I didn't even give her a courtesy laugh to ease the tension. So, was my sense of humor failing me, or was there really no humor in that?

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 11:57 AM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• ummm -- yea, thats an odd remark. Some people say the dumbest things when they are nervous and meeting new people. She is probably asking herself, "Why in the hell did I say that??" STUPID! :-)
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:08 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I happen to be a very nervous person and I have said some stupid shit without thinking. Chalk it up to that.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would not have been able to laugh about that either. It might well have just been that she was nervous and blurted that out without thinking but I have a hard time even trying to justify such a remark with that excuse. Hopefully though it really was because she was nervous and didn't think how completely awful it sounded out loud.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• No humor in that. Maybe she was nervous and just blurted it out.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:38 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Agree with the others that she was probably nervous and trying to think of something to say. She definitely picked the wrong thing! I wouldn't have been able to laugh at that either.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 1:45 PM on May. 31, 2011