How long will it take...

We've lived in OUR house now for almost 2 years. We've been married for 2 years too and bought it at the same time as our wedding (title is in both our names). He was married for over 20 years before and they divorced 5 years ago. He still slips up and calls our house HIS house in conversation. I had to correct him on this after we got married that it bothered me when he did this because when he would talk about the house he used to have with his ex wife, it's always "ours" "we lived there..." "we did this remodel job" etc. I owned a small condo before we married that we've since put both our names on the title so it is also "ours." He'll refer to that as my condo and the house as his house. He did this again yesterday and I called him out on it. I feel like I'm being a bitch by even mentioning it to him but it really bothers me. When I examine my feelings, it comes down to feeling like he still must subconsciously feel married to his ex and not to me. How long will it take for him to feel truly connected to me at every level??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• I personally wouldn't let that get to me. It is your house too, he's just not thinking.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Have you ever tried asking him why he does it? I think you're over-reacting. Old habits die hard.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 12:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yep I agree with the other Moms I think you are reading way too much into it and should just let it go. I don't think it is a big deal in the least and you are letting it eat at you when you don't even need to worry about it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:29 PM on May. 31, 2011