When do kids usually start talking?

My son is 15 months and he hardly says anything.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:31 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry... I work at a Child Development Center that provides therapy to children ages birth to 3 who have a qualified developmental delay. The speech therapists don't even recommend a speech evaluation until after the age of 2 and that is if the little one has no language. Best advice, talk to your little one all of the time, no matter what you are doing, have a conversation about it. If you are still concerned, each state has a developmental screening program for children birth-4 years, which is free of charge. It is just a quick test/screening to check if your little one is hitting all of the developmental milestones. This is conducted by trained personell and pretty fun for the child and mama. BTW, boys usually talk later than girls, go figure:)
    Wyomingmama

Answer by Wyomingmama at 1:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Though all children learn and express at a different rate I think past two is the line for seeing a Dr if I remember with my youngest.
    Just shy of two years he started babbling. I was worried, and it worked out. I'm sure theres nothing to be concerned about. Maybe this link can help.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/not_talk.html
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 12:36 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It depends on the child. My oldest didn't say a whole lot until she was 2 and a half years old. No we can't get her to stop talking, lol. My youngest on the other hand started talking very early. She is 22 months and says sentences and can repeat just about any word flawless. I want to say she really started talking at about 12 to 15 months. They both obviously said mama, dada, and baba with no problem from about the age of 6 months. I wouldn't be too concerned yet.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:38 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It's different for every child. My son said very little until he turned 2. His pediatrician was convinced at 18 months there must be something horribly wrong with him. My daughter has been talking since well before 2 years. I think at least half of this is because she has a big brother who has talked to her since she was born. Unlike when he was very young, she has a person who is a lot more on her level talking to her and talking her language, so to speak.

I think this is one more thing that can't be based on age so much. If your son were 2 or over, then I'd be concerned. If you are worried though, talk to his doctor. They might have some ideas you can try to get him talking more.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

• And they also did a lot of babbling as well. Sorry I hit submit too quick.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 12:40 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My daughter didn't say hardly anything until she was about 20 months. I was worried too but now she's almost 3 and talks up a storm.
    Eisleysmommy27

Answer by Eisleysmommy27 at 12:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• don't worry yet. just keep talking to him and he will start.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 12:47 PM on May. 31, 2011