When should a spider bite be concerning?

My little one got bit by a spider at least 5 times. All of the bites have a red ring around the bite. The bite on her hand is swollen and is pale pink with a red ring around it with the bite mark in the middle. It is about the size of a quarter. She is not complaining it hurts or anything of the sort, but it looks pretty bad. She got bit about 3 days ago. I washed all the bites with soap and water and applied an antibiotic cream and hydracortizone to them. No fever or wheezing or anything of that sort. Should I keep doing what I am doing or should she be checked out. I also have applied cold compresses to the one on her hand as well.

amber1330

Asked by amber1330 at 12:33 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like what you're doing is fine but a doctor's look wouldn't hurt. May i ask where you live? I'm just curious because I live in in the tristate area (south New York, northern tip of New Jersey) and I've been finding a hideous black spider that likes to frequent our home. I examined one and looked it up and it said it's a fairly non-poisonous spider. I tend to do that, i'll kill an insect and then find what it is and what it does.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 12:44 PM on May. 31, 2011

• If there are any red lines radiating from the bite, or it looks like it may be infected, then you should see the doctor.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I live in Michigan. I tried finding the spider after she was bit because it had to have happened in her bed, but the spider was long gone. We have been getting a lot of different spiders this year and I have been doing the same as you. I will give my doctor a call and see what she says. Lol, I was just in there with my oldest because she reacts horribly to mosquito bites. My poor kids seem to be getting bit left and right.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 12:50 PM on May. 31, 2011

• amber1330 please take your child to a hospital or doctor. My mil had a spider bite and her hand blew up and got infected. SHe did not want to go but we forced her to go. She got put on antiboitics. GL.
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 12:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Go to the ped doc.. My daughter had a bite on her eye, she was put on ant. for 10 days. They get concerned because the eye is close to the brain and that is where the infection can go. I would take her asap.
    Anonymous

• Sounds more like Lyme tick bites to me. Spider bites just look like mosquito bites, red & puffy, no rings. I would go see the Pediatrician ASAP.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:59 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would still take her to the dr to be safe!
    C.Parrish

Answer by C.Parrish at 1:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• regardless what bug or insect bit the child she needs medical attenion asap and meds asap!!!
    geminilove7

Answer by geminilove7 at 1:47 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I talked to her pedi. She told me just to keep an eye on it and to continue what I am doing. She said some children just have bad reactions to some bites. She said if it worsens to bring her in, but since she has no fever and isn't acting funny she wasn't too concerned yet.
    amber1330

Comment by amber1330 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on May. 31, 2011