Any tips for potty training a boy?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 12:40 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• signs would include not like being wet, being able to pull his own pants up and down, is staying dry through the night. Do not get pullups they are like a diaper and you want DS to feel being wet. Go stright to underware and do not look back. Let you son pick out the underware if you get a potty or potty seat let him pick it. Make sure he understands before you put him on the potty, let him start by sitting.
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 3:29 PM on May. 31, 2011

• for a boy, i would not rush it to much. My son turned 1 and my mind was thinking ok its time to potty train because my daughter at that age picked it up and did well. WRONG answer with my son/ He was actually about 2 1/2 before he was half way done. I would wait and start talking to him at 1 1/2 and actually allow him to sit on potty and get some pull-up's, make it fun for him. Put a little book holder in there with his favorite books.
    Esam

Answer by Esam at 12:44 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I waited until my boys turned 3. Then I waited for a long weekend when I had 3 days to stay home. I took the diapers away completely, first thing in the morning. Made a big deal out of big boy underwear. I took them every 1/2 hour the first day. Every hour the second day. By day 3 they were trained. The trick is to never go back t diapers, so make sure you are ready for the commitment when you start. (Except at night, that takes longer).
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:32 PM on May. 31, 2011