Am I asking for too much?

I babysit a 14 month old boy. Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. From 1:15- 4:15. I recently asked for a raise and laid down some ground rules.
I said that I needed $4 per hour on weekdays and $6 an hour on Saturdays. Also I said that they could no longer bring himover when he is running a fever over 100 or vomiting. And that I wanted paid in cash. Is that too much to ask?? The mother is throwing a absolute fit. They are looking for another babysitter, and didnt even tell me. I said the changes would be effective on January 1st. Should I just quit on them now? Because I know once they find someone else they will not give me any notice. They have proven to me that they are the most selfish unconsiderate people I have ever met!

MommyMel03

Asked by MommyMel03 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• What state are you in?
    I think that is way too little money..
    I was a nanny back in 1989 and I made triple that...
    It is different state to state though.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:13 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY NOT! people up here day care and home providers charge a daily rate usually that is cheaper than there hourly rate... makes no sense to me but hey... they usually charge 4-5 an hour and/or 20-30 dollars for a normal work day and good luck getting one on ANY weekend usually. oh and the kicker is $1 for every minute after closing time.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I want to know what they are doing for 3 hours that they need a sitter? And why on earth would anyone take their child out of the house when he has a fever or vomiting. I thing you should have quit then!!
    Unless they are having some kind of cancer treatment, I think you should quit.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 12:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I live in Ohio and they work seperate shifts. So the Dad has to leave at 1:15 and the mom gets off at 4:00.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:22 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• OH and get this....The mother told one of theother moms I babysit for that she was gonna have to claim it on her taxes if I'm going to charge that much! Not to mention when I first started babysitting for them I said I was doing this under the table. They have me so mad. I just want to leave, they are supposed to be bringing him today at 1:15 and I feel like leaving. They havent told me any of this to my face.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Ok I am hearing this and 4 and hour still does not seem like much..
    I live on the east coast so you get more money here.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:32 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Not to mention both of the parent work good jobs making around $20 an hour. Am I asking for too much or is what their doing bullcrap and I should just quit. Should I even give notice? I dont want to they have made me so angry.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• No one around here babysits as cheap as me. They all want like 20-30 a day no matter how long the kid is there. These ppl think I am asking too much with all my "rules"
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• what seriously? i would love to find someone that cheap!! Confront her on it and say if shes going to find another sitter then the least she cud do is tell you. A child is not even allowed at school when they are vomitting or have a fever why the hell would it be ok to take them to an in home day care? that lady has issues. what were you charging before?
    angelgrl5200

Answer by angelgrl5200 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• You're definitely not asking too much with the method of payment you accept and rules as far as the child having to be healthy. I would probably not pay $4/hr though, although it REALLY depends on the area you live in. In Michigan, the most people really charge is $2.50 per child...although if I was needing part time, wanting my child to have one on one attention, and having someone flex to my schedule, I can see paying more.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008