Is it normal that my 15yr has problems sleeping at night?

My 15 yr old son is having problems sleeping at night! And my husband and i don't know why this is happening! Our son has told us that cola will help him sleep! And our son has asthma and he takes a steriod inhaler early in the evening! Can the inhaler be the cause of it?

babyboomer1957

Asked by babyboomer1957 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that's a Q for a doctor... but it could be. Cause steroids get you jumped up a bit, right? I had friends who didn't sleep well when we were that age. Maybe he's got something on his mind right now? Nervous about something? What does he say about it?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 12:56 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• The best way to approach the question is by asking yourself first, what has changed prior to the new behavior? Then you can start eliminating possibilities and maybe find his culprit. Some things that can trigger insomnia are stress, too much caffeine or other stimulants (eg..energy drinks), medications, hormone changes, and changes to one's routine or schedule.

If the sleeping problem goes on for a long time or is disturbing to your son, I would definately have your son talk to his doctor about it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:12 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son had a severe sleeping problem for years. He could not force himself to sleep sometimes for three days in a row. We tried lots of things from the doctor, but he said they made him feel 'weird'. Finally, I heard that an ingredient in Propel that he was drinking caused insomnia and he improved greatly after giving the stuff up. Still has the problem sometimes because playing video games at night makes him too wound up to sleep.
    tam906

Answer by tam906 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• cola has sugar and caffeine. Hard to believe that helps him sleep. Yes an inhaler can cause it.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My ds-also 15- was having trouble getting to sleep the pediatrician suggested Melatonin and it works great! It's with the supplements at the store but is also a chemical that your body makes but some people just do not produce enough.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• It may be the inhaler. My sons have been on every kind of steroid, pill, inhaler, ivs. If you can have him take it in the morning, it may be easier.
    Anonymous

• I've had problems sleeping for a while now. It's normal.
    3Smiths

Answer by 3Smiths at 2:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2008

• It is actually pretty common for teens to have sleeping problems. Certianly what they are putting into their bodies can play a role (caffine, medications, etc.) but there are many other factors as well. First of all you might be expecting him to go to bed too early, as kids age they often need less sleep. Also he might have a lot on his mind, social situations, girls, grades, homework, college, etc.. And don't overlook hormones, that can effect the ability to sleep. If he seems to be suffering during the day due to his sleeping problems he should talk to his doctor. If it doesn't seem to be causing much trouble I would just make some suggestions to help him learn how to relax and fall asleep easily even if he has a lot on his mind.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2008