So... Noah cursed Canaan because his father walked in on him drunk and naked?

From New World Translation

Genesis 9:20-27

"Now Noah started off as a farmer and proceeded to plant a vineyard. And the began drinking of the wine and became intoxicated and so he uncovered himself in teh midst of his tent. Later, Ham, the father of Canaan saw his father's nakedness and went telling it to his two brothers outside. At that shem and Japheth took a mantle and put it upon both their shoulders and walked in backwards. Thus they covered their father's nakedness, while their faces were turned away and they did not see their father's nakedness. Finally Noah woke from his wine and got to know what his youngest son had done to him. At this he said:

'Cursed be Canaan. Let him become the lowest slave to his brothers'

And he added:

'Blessed be Jehovah, Shem's God and let Canaan become a slave to him. Let god grant ample space to Japhet and let him reside in the tents of Shem. Let Canaan become a slave to him also.'

...WTF?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:58 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wat im about to write was a more in depth study of wat happen and why Ham was curse so badly. My pastor thought us that Ham may have come to him sexually. Making homosexualiaty the first sin aftet the flood. I dint think just seeing him would have caused such a curse. Ham is the desendance of afriamericans that would later b enslaved for 400 yrs. I do believe it was a more serious matter. Its up to u sister. God bless

Answer by Autiziumom an hour ago
    -----------------------------
    Yes---some churches ( specifically Mormons) thought that HAM was cursed and his skin was turned black and that he was the first African American...LOL...and then they decided to be prejudiced against black people and use them as Slaves. I would say that is immoral and so wrong and I don't believe it. THAT s another example of how MEN rewrote chapters and verses to back up THEIR irrational prejudices. THAT was not God's word.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 2:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think it is a far stretch to say that Noah cursed him because he tried to have sex with him, if you read the bible they use words like "lay with" or "so they could know them", none of thosethings are used here none. It says he saw his father naked and went and told his bothers, it doesn't say he tried to lay with him, or tried to know him or anything. It's a ridiculous assumption too.

StrawberryLane

Answer by StrawberryLane at 1:55 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The Bible doesn't always state things 'to the point' like saying he tried to sleep with Noah, fro example throughout the Bible it is written that a wife lay with her husband not that she had sex so this is probably just the same way. But also he didn't take care of Noahs nakedness discretely, he just spread gossip. In other words, have respect for your fellow man (or woman)
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 1:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

• LOL, people will find a way to blame everything on homosexuality. I think it's just one of those unfortunate stories in the bible. Poor Ham. Oh, and I think Cannon is the nation Ham "fathered" though his descendants, not Ham's son, I could be wrong though.

StrawberryLane

Answer by StrawberryLane at 1:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

• wow...never heard the gay-version of this story before...seems like some ppl are assuming reading too much into the story. not everything involving nakedness is homosexual.

i was taught the reason Ham's descendent's were punished was b/c Ham ran around telling ppl his dad was drunk & nekked instead of just covering him up. still seems a little harsh of a reaction by Noah seeing as he was the one who got drunk & nekked.

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:38 PM on May. 31, 2011

• OK, I don't study the bible so this is random guess. Because Ham did nothing but spread stories. The other sons actually took care of their father rather than talk about him.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Okay, but it doesn't say ANYTHING about that. It just says he saw his nakedness, and immediately went and told his brothers. And that was Ham. And instead of being mad at Ham for catching him drunk and nude, he cursed Ham's son Canaan. That doesn't make any sense.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• So he made his son a slave? Shitty grandpa award right there.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It says explicitly that Ham became father to Canaan. And in this translation is says explicitly "Adam had intercourse with his wife and she became pregnant." None of the euphemism crap.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I think a lot is lost in translation. When we say "getting busy" it also means having sex, but if someone 1000 years from now read that and translated it, the implication of sex would be lost.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:43 PM on May. 31, 2011