And immediately following the passage about Noah being a terrible grandfather...

God messes with everyone's language so they won't be able to build a city. Which he previously and since has had no problem with.

It doesn't say there's anything wrong with the city or the tower, just that it was being built. And God thought "There's nothing they can't do, since they can communicate with each other, so I'm gonna throw a wrench in these spokes."

Geez, what's up with this?! I don't understand this at all, why did people treat each other so badly and why did God treat people so badly?!

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 1:21 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i was taught that the ppl were trying to get God...thinking Heaven was above the clouds...so they could make money & get famous. sounds like God didnt want ppl making tons of money off of Him...go figure.

and personally, i dont think this is anything more than a story written to help explain why ppl speak different languages, not necessarily an actual characterization of God.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:43 PM on May. 31, 2011

• From what I was taught about this was that the people were wanting to build a tower to heaven to make a 'name' for themselves & have other people being amazed/ jealous of them for doing this - which would only lead the people away from God. God realizes that when people are unified in purpose they can accomplish impossible feats, both noble and ignoble. This is why unity in the body of Christ is so important & this shows this.
    Oh & don't worry, I wont be offended if you don't agree with me (because we're all different) but this is just what I get from from this part of the Bible:)
    Ellie15

Answer by Ellie15 at 1:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My understanding of the "we" in Genesis are Heavenly Father, Jesus, and Michael the arch angel.

I think of God as our spiritual father...what would you do if your kids were building an unstable block tower to climb up to your room upstairs?
    Wouldn't you say " to get to my room, you just need to ask me, and I'll show you the safe way up"
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 2:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Im si glad u want tr I know more. Keep in mind Gid wants us for Him he is a jelous God. Doesnt like to share.First commandment. He cause confusion because he knew we would b able to reach the heavens and then we would have no need for Him. If that would of happen he would of completely destroy us. He wants us to b saved and cime to him. Any ways those people were making the tower out of brik. Brik breaks very easily. With weather, meaning problems. Now rock is different. Made out if rock would have been different. Christ is the only Rock.strong tower. Nothing above Him. For your cinsideration. Sister
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 1:46 PM on May. 31, 2011

• the more I am convinced that I chose right when I chose paganism lo

Congrads to you- so what is the point of your posts- are trying to convert or are you just feeling a little insecure today and felt the need to tear apart the beliefs of another- please don't use the old "I am just trying to understand" excuse- if thats the case perhaps these would be worded differently but they are not-
    Is the next post the whole "God is his own Son.....blah, blah, blah...." - because we have not had that one in a while-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• What's your beef, exactly, soyousay?

I think my beef is pretty clear- your wording seems so insulting- does not lend itself to "understanding" more like- jump on the bandwagon with me-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:50 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Why are you angry if you do not believe it, Ati 13? What is it to you if "kind, intelligent, gentle people" believe that God knows best? He sees things from an eternal perspective, not from our very limited, finite view. That is why we can believe it. God is omniscient and we are not.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 12:02 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• The biblical story of the Tower of Babel reflects traveler's tales of the ziggurats of Mesopotamia- especially the stepped Etemenanki temple of Babylon that rose 300 ft above the city. The Israelites must have thought the great city of Babylon, where many languages were spoken, confusing and that lead the Hebrew scribes to link the city's Akkadan name, Bab-ilu with the Hebrew word balal which means to mingle or confound.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I see that now that you say it. I'm confused now because God has allowed a lot of people to make names for themselves since then. It also seems to me that wiping out all those people just a generation ago didn't accomplish much if he's already having to re-punish people.

*sigh*. The more I understand about the Bible the more I am convinced that I chose right when I chose paganism lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:44 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Jealousy comes from insecurity. How can an omnipotent being be insecure? I'm not trying to be a smart alec, I seriously don't understand.

Also, in the first few chapters of Genesis, God speaks in terms like "we" "us" and "our". Who are these other beings that he's referring to?
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:50 PM on May. 31, 2011