What are your experiences with bf and antidepressants?

I just began taking 20 mg celexa for anxiety/ depression. I was very hesitant because I am EBF and not very comfortable with medications despite what doctors say is "safe". I have been on it 4 days now and so far it hasn't been so fun. I have the shakes a lot, feel 'high' and sometimes dizzy, and extremely tired. I really do worry that it is effecting the baby. He seems to be having a hard time sleeping the last few days, and also more lethargic in general. He is still happy, smiling, and he is playing with toys and rolling around, but he just seems different.

I'm not sure what to do, as I absolutely need to be on medication right now. My doc is out of town til next week. I am waiting for a call from my pediatrician.

Anyone have experiences with celexa or other meds like it while bfing?

VelvetCat

Asked by VelvetCat at 1:23 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should call and ask for a different medication. It's trial and error. It took me a couple medications to find the right one. As for BF and that...not sure, it's a good question because I will be doing the same. I heard you can take it when the baby doesn't need to eat but idk. I am on zoloft right now and I am pregnant. I am praying that it doesn't do anything to the baby.

Oh another thing is...you may need to eat with the medication. But sometimes if the medication is too high or isn't right for you it'll give you the jitters and stuff
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 1:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I tried celexa and I felt like a I was sleep walking, I was so tired. Tried Wellbutrin too, that made me dizzy, and started having panic attacks. Doc switched me to Zoloft and I had no side effects on that. Your reaction might mean that the doc needs to try a different med on you, it's a process figuring out what works for each person. And yes I breastfeed while I took the meds.

Anonymous

• this link may help you feel better about taking the meds while breastfeeding http://kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html  Hugs, finding the right med is all trial and error. 

Anonymous

• I would absolutely not take anything while BF. I would go without medication, or as much as I would hate to, switch to formula. I would never trust a doctor telling me it's okay to BF and take anti-depressants. But that's just me :)
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 3:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• "I would go without medication, or as much as I would hate to, switch to formula" Actually, continuing to breastfeed while on medication such as this is safer for baby than switching to formula. This is something that is well studied. There are very few medications where the risks of breastfeeding with it outweigh the risks of formula feeding.

There are also known risks to the baby when a mother who is depressed, and those risks are generally worse than getting a little med in the breastmilk. It is best for both mom and baby to gets the meds (if that is what is needed) and continue breastfeeding. Agian, lots of studies done on this, not just my opinion.

Talk to your Dr about the side effects with celexa. You may need to try a different med. Zoloft is usually the first choice for breastfeeding mothers because such a small amount transfers into milk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:48 PM on May. 31, 2011

• the benefits of taking meds while breastfeeding by far out way the risks of formula feeding

Anonymous

• I have had depression since I had my first son, he's 3 now, and with my second pregnancy I had to stay on my 100 mg of Zoloft the entire time. I EBF also and have had no problems with it. He's 4 months old now and doing great.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 9:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes I realize that there are risks to formula feeding. Some people are not comfortable with donor milk, which is why I didn't list that as an option for the OP.

I still would never take medication while breastfeeding.
    Michelle451

Answer by Michelle451 at 10:39 PM on May. 31, 2011