What are the best bottles to use while brestfeeding if you need to use a bottle for any reason?

MommyMJean

Asked by MommyMJean at 1:36 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used Madela bottles and a pack of cheep-os. I only had 3 bottles that we ever used bc Dd was ebf most of the time.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• trying to remember the name...it was slightly bent towards the end of bottle. playtex i think
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 1:42 PM on May. 31, 2011

• some babies are not picky.... they'll use a dollar store bottle OR a fancy glass one. Others are trial and error, especially after the breast. You might have to try a few kinds!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:43 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I LOVE my Breastflow bottles. The nuk work ok too but BreastFlow is the best one for my DD2
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 1:49 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I too use the cheapest bottles I can find. No matter how much they claim, no bottle is exactly like the breast so I don't waste time and money trying to match it.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• We used breastflow bottles... I think they are really nice.
    Whichever bottle you choose there are a few things to look for when bottle feeing a breastfed infant: You'll want a shorter nipple with a wide base... this is more similar to the breast. You'll also want a very slow flow nipple... you want the baby to still work hard so the bottle isn't easier.
    Also remember that you have to introduce the bottle at the right time... not too early... your baby should be a well established breastfeed first... but also not too late because a baby will learn to like ONLY the breast so if you need them to take a bottle they might not. A lot of people say 6 weeks... I think 6 weeks is too late for many babies, they already know they like the breast and will only take that. I would say between 2-4 weeks and just do a bottle now and then so the baby doesn't forget.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I used Avent and they worked fine for my DD who was mostly breast fed. I would buy one of whatever kind you want to use and make sure your baby likes it before you stock up. Some babies are picky and you might have to try and few brands to get a good fit.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• We used Playtex Ventaire, no issues.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 2:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I used dropp ins by playtex they are incredible good, anti-colic and very practical.
    Mariangel

Answer by Mariangel at 2:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I have used Medula ones and Nuk ones...they seemed the easiest for us to swap back and forth from
    Limarey

Answer by Limarey at 5:13 PM on May. 31, 2011