21 month old and his sleeping habits!

My 21 month old does fine when I put him to bed he goes right to sleep at 8:30 every night. But my problem is he wakes up all throughout the night crying! It's driving me crazy, because it's happening every night :\ My husband always wants to just put him in bed with us when he wakes up to get him to quit crying, which makes me mad because I'm trying to get him to learn to fall back asleep in his own bed! I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem with their toddlers.

C.Parrish

Asked by C.Parrish at 1:40 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 21 dd is the same way right now. My dh doesn't even notice whe. Dd is crying, so he doesn't care what I do.... :) I know my dds crys, so I know when she really needs me. I let her cry it out, and after 15 mins, if she hasn't calmed down, I'll go in, lay her down on her stomach and rub her back to calm her down, ( not until she is asleep) and then go back to our room.... Normally she ends of falling asleep and I finally get to too.... It's a work in progress and will tame a few weeks to get it to click, just stick with and and DON'T bring him in bed with you... That will be another nasty habit you will have to break
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:50 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My three yo is going through this right now, but I think it has to do with bad dreams and nightmares. She wakes up crying and screaming. What I do is go in there and try to sooth her.

I also have a 21 month old, who sometimes will wake up crying and asking to get out of bed. Where are you mommy she'll cry. What I do then is lay her down, cover her, give her a bottle, if she continues to cry I let her cry it out. She never cries for more then 5 min. But I do not want her sleeping in bed with us, we have a small bed and for being so little she takes up all the room.

I am a let them cry it out mom. Maybe your not. You have to dabble with a couple of things to see what you find that wrks.
    styhmMommy

Answer by styhmMommy at 1:51 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Im glad Im not going through this alone! It can be so frustrating not knowing what is making him cry. Ive had a few friends mention that it might be nightmares. And we made the mistake of letting him sleep in the bed with us when he was a infant, it has been so hard breaking him, but Im making progress! :) I have a little girl due in 4 weeks so I would like to get a little more sleep than he's been letting me, lol.
    C.Parrish

Comment by C.Parrish (original poster) at 2:00 PM on May. 31, 2011

• A lot of mamma don't agree with this and it makes staying dry through the night rough now but I give my DS a glass of water and tell him it's still night night time, I love you then I leave, this works for us, now that he is four I leave a water bottle on his dresser he will take a drink sometimes he will go potty and call me to tell me he pottyed lol but mostly he dosn't wake us. It took a few nights for him to know I wasn't letting him up. We had the problme becasue as an infant he sleep in his swing best so we let him.
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 3:19 PM on May. 31, 2011