Potty training

My son is almost 4 1/2 and will not poop on the potty, we have tried everything to bribe/encourage him and nothing. I know most 4 1/2 yr olds are potty trained, what am I to do?

Jssg1986

Asked by Jssg1986 at 1:53 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• This is way more common than you think, especially in boys. The above momma's are right though...if you let him get wind that this is making you nuts...he wins. This is a battle of wills. I would be cool as a cucumber on this one. If he poops his pants, so oh, you pooped your pants, provide him with clean clothes and some baby wipes and make him clean himself up...most kids hate this idea. You of course are going to have to make sure he did indeed get all the poop off, but for the most part leave him alone to do the work.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• This could be a power struggle. It most likely IS a power struggle. You can always speak with your pediatrician or consult with a developmental psychologist if you are really concerned.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:04 PM on May. 31, 2011

• will he tell you why he won't poop on potty? Is he scared? That is usually what it is. My boys were about that age when they were 100% on the potty. I would talk to him and see what is bothering him.
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 2:05 PM on May. 31, 2011