How do your kids handle......

shots and blood work?

Jssg1986

Asked by Jssg1986 at 1:55 PM on May. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• OMG -- very badly! We are dreading those 4 year-old shots right now! UGH
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 1:56 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Not so well. They are getting braver (6 & 7) but they see a needle and freak out for a few minutes.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I have a 2 1/2-year-old and an almost 5-year-old. They are both pretty good about getting shots and blood work. They are much different than me at that age b/c I would kick and scream and it'd take 3 nurses to hold me down.
    mommy2aftan

Answer by mommy2aftan at 2:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• DD cries, but then stops pretty quickly. She's still a toddler so she doesn't ask questions about them yet.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 2:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• not good...mine cried but i reminded her that after shots we go out for ice cream so she was fine lol
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Pretty good although it rarely happens so it's not a big deal. The only time my kids go to the doctor is for well check-ups and most of them are past getting shots every time. Last time my oldest got some (at 9, I think... she's almost 11 now) she threw a huge fit and I had to hold her down until the first shot went in and then she stilled and was like, "that wasn't so bad." Duh, I tried to tell her that. I didn't have to hold her for the 2nd one.
    My 5yo is behind on her shots. Last time she was at the doctor she was turning 3, I think. She doesn't remember what shots are like but has to get caught up to start school in the fall. They all usually behave well until the nurse actually comes in then they get a little nervous. Only the oldest has ever thrown a fit, though. The other kids just get all brave and accept that they don't have a choice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my 3 yr old crys for a very little bit then gets over it.. my 2 yr old CRYS and CRYS and CRYs will look at the bandaid and cry some more lol.. they have never had to have their blood taking but im sure it wouldnt be fun and im sure they would cry worse
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 2:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my kids have not had shots or blood work. how common is blood work for a child?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:15 PM on May. 31, 2011

• once a year once they turn 1
    Jssg1986

Comment by Jssg1986 (original poster) at 2:16 PM on May. 31, 2011

• The only blood work my kids have ever had is the finger/heel prick to test their iron or lead (lead testing was mandatory at 9 months where we lived and then at 18 months if you lived in an older house or other high-risk area of the city).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:17 PM on May. 31, 2011