Small poodle, big attachment issues!

I have an 8 year old female teacup poodle, who chose me, and my husband has a 12 year old female chow mix who chose him. The chow mix is the dominant female, which is fine with me. However, my poodle does not want the chow near me. I encourage the chow to come and see me, which she does and exerts her domination in a very nice way toward her "friend". The poodle is fine when I am not around. She is very emotional when it comes to me and I cannot get her to stop barking at the chow or thinking she is the big boss when it comes to anyone or dog being around me. She has been acting this way for about a year and I am so frustrated. I have tried showing her I am the dominant female but she just keeps barking and trying to be the top dog or the protector of me. Any suggestions?

Wyomingmama

Asked by Wyomingmama at 2:00 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Pets

• The poodle is be possessive of you it is also called resource guarding.If she is in your lap when the other dog approaches and she reacts to the other dog I would stand up and not allow her in your lap. Don't pet or even touch the poodle when the other dog comes around.  You might try a water gun for the barking. But I would also start making the poodle work for everything  if she wants to get up on the sofa, or lap whatever make her do something for it.  

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:08 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Poodles are that way I had one who did that to my pit/lab. You probably wont break that habbit
    Kimkh

Answer by Kimkh at 6:57 PM on May. 31, 2011