Do you have a routine or schedule for your children to perform their chores?

Do you offer rewards or incentives for completing their chores? How often? What kinds of rewards?

nepenthe429

Asked by nepenthe429 at 2:08 PM on May. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is a natural helper, I always had him help me when he was little and he wanted to. As soon as he gets a snack and decompresses a little from school, and homework is done, chores begin! He does something every day, sweep the floor, take out trash, dusting, wipe baseboards, cleaning glass, fold the wash. He does a weekly trash routine of the whole house. He gets an allowance of $5 per week, not related to these chores, the allowance is for his spending money, and to learn budgeting, etc. He is also responsible for cleaning his room, picking up his laundry, and picking up after himself as a matter of course.

My philosophy is that being part of a family means helping out. When we shop for groceries that feed you, you help put away. Teaching chores is more about working yourself out of a job and raising a responsible, independent adult than getting money for doing something that needs to be done anyway by someone!
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 2:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my 4 year old helps me around the house and every saturday she cleans her room
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 2:18 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my 4yr old helps anytime. I will pay for chores usually $.25 depending on what it is. Or give her a trip to the $store or ice cream. My SD wont help at all. I ofer to pay her for chores but nothing helps. So this whole school yr each night (or the nights i remember lol) they pick 1 chore stick out of a cup (easier ones for the 4 yr old ...harder ones for SD 11) and they are not aloud after dinner snacks till its done. 4 yr old loves it and often reminds me to pick one SD hates it.
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 2:18 PM on May. 31, 2011

• During the school year, the school day and scheduled activities offer enough of a structure that we can be a little more relaxed on chores and responsibilities. "Before school", "after school" and "before bed" are enough of a time line. Other chores and responsibilites are more "as they come" (if the dishwasher is done, we're emptying it now; if the sheets are folded, they need to be put up and away now; when we're done eating, it's time to clear the table).

During the summer I have to create a schedule, because our life works better with a spine (I know some people thrive without it, but for us that's the best plan). We form each day around that "spine" and can move things around as we need. But that means during the summer I often do have charts - more one or two week or special goal charts than ongoing.

I find keeping a chart for 2 weeks daily and 2 months weekly helps set in a chore habit, without wearing out charts
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 2:21 PM on May. 31, 2011

• ooh tomsjennabean, chore sticks . . . I like that idea!
    nepenthe429

Comment by nepenthe429 (original poster) at 2:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• They just know what needs to be done. Usually I remind them anyway. In the summer they don't leave the house until their chores are done. If they keep their toys and stuff picked up throughout the day then doing their chores in the morning should take 10-15 minutes (more if they have to fold laundry but that's usually done at night because I do laundry during the day).

They don't get paid or any incentive (although I have rewarded extra helpful kids with a treat... mostly my 8yo). They do chores because they are the ones that made the messes so they should clean them up. I'm not their maid or slave. And they help with other stuff because they are part of the family and it's everyone's responsibility to take care of the house.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• They each have their chore schedule hanging in their room - they do certain things on certain days. They have to do their chores, but if they do them without complaining or reminders, they get $4/week - $2 to spend as they like, and $2 that goes into their credit union savings account.

Answer by missanc at 3:01 PM on May. 31, 2011

• yes i do on certain days
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 4:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my son has 5 jobs and my dd has 2
    critter_boo

Answer by critter_boo at 4:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My son has certain chores for certain days of the week. He gets stickers on a reward chart for completing them in time.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 4:16 PM on May. 31, 2011