Really!

My dd comes home from school (junior high) and tells me about the name calling exchanged in class and what the other kids be talking about, like gay slandering or the person saying he/she is gay and the other kids laughing and making fun of them. I ask her what she think about this and she said that gay means happy to her.

ttk2

Asked by ttk2 at 3:02 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• wow
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 3:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• normal behavior,don't worry.may not be "nice" behavior,but normal..kids can be rude and silly..lots of times just to show off, they really usually don't even put a lot of thought into what they are saying,they just open thier mouths and words spill out,lol
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:06 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My son is 16. The boys in his school constantly call each other gay.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Very naive isn't she.

Answer by louise2 at 3:13 PM on May. 31, 2011

• This happens as well at the school my kids go to, I think at some extent its normal, not necessarily appropriate or nice but it does happen. We taughter our children that gay means happy, and if someone calls them that they can say yes or no depending on their mood. My kids have always defined gay as happy and there is nothing wrong with that.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Very naive isn't she.

NO she is not

ttk2

Comment by ttk2 (original poster) at 3:18 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It happens in every school and not just for gay students. Kids make fun of other kids because they are too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, gay, like to play with toys, and really anything and everything under the sun. It has been happening for years and will keep happening. All we can do is teach tolerance and hope it sticks.

Answer by gemgem at 3:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• really now all the witches are starting on children...wow calling children names like naive? why didn't you just keep that one to yourself!! what are kids supposed to be?,,, masters of all things evil and sex and bad language thats sad!!
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 3:31 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I've had this talk with my son... especially with the story lines going on with "Glee" I felt it was time. He knows what words are hate speech and not to use "gay", "homo", or "retard" to mean someone is acting goofy. In fact, his cousin was over a couple of weeks ago and said "That's so gay" and I announced to the whole car. "See, R.J.? That's hate speech and I don't expect you to use it or tolerate it" and then I got on to my nephew.
    Later when asking ds about it, he simply said "it's really sad that people can't be more accepting of other people"
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 4:23 PM on May. 31, 2011

• normal behavior,don't worry.may not be "nice" behavior,but normal..kids can be rude and silly..lots of times just to show off, they really usually don't even put a lot of thought into what they are saying,they just open thier mouths and words spill out
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2011