Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump


Does anyone know if I move in with my boyfriend if my child can keep medicaid?

My boyfriend is not my child's father.
But he makes $75,000 a year, which is over the medicaid limits.
However he will not be supporting my child.

I am a little confused by this because of the household income.


Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (12)
  • No unless he is the childs bio parent or youre married his income doesnt count.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • if your living there its considered your income... medicaid doesnt want to cover anyone if they think they dont have to!! I would call your social worker and figure something out!!

    Answer by kpolitte at 3:27 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • And I would not suggest you compromise your son's health by lying on government forms. Big trouble will come from that. And shame on those who actually suggest doing that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • If you do it legally they want to know know all the income that is brought into the house no matter who is bringing it, parent or not.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • legally by law if you are not married you do not have to provide any information on who you live with because they are not responsible for you and your kids... they may ask for info but give limited information and only provide answers that are specific to you and your child.. your household includes you and your son only legally unless you get married..

    Answer by girlglow6 at 3:51 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • I didn't really want to call my worker because son has about $1,000 in prescriptions a month, plus sees asthma and allergy specialists. If he can't keep medicaid, I can't afford to make the move. So I was a little worried about calling my worker and bringing it up and then having them cancel the insurance.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • dont report his income,if your not married and hes not the bio dad then they dont need to know his income,however if you yourself has no income there going to wonder how you are making it.i would just say i moved in with a friend or a family member is helping you out.they dont have to know your moving in with your boyfriend.

    Answer by twolilgirls712 at 3:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • Technically you are supposed to go by your household income and he would be considered as part of the income. If they find out about him then your medicare may be cancelled and they will put a hold on your account and you would have to find insurance through another source.

    Answer by campbellb3421 at 4:02 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • I definitely don't want to lie because I don't want to go to jail for fraud. I suppose I was hoping there was a way to tell the truth, but have him excluded since he isn't providing for my child. My boyfriend has great insurance through his work, but that's not an option because my son is not his.


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:16 PM on May. 31, 2011

  • I finally called my worker to ask her and she said that if he is not the parent, his income will not affect the medicaid eligibility. He has to be reported as part of the group, but it won't affect the kids. Thanks for all your help.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:02 PM on May. 31, 2011