Getting made fun of

I just moved back home the other month & I feel like I'm in high school all over again.

See I moved into my parents apartment complex where my parents & two sisters both live as well. We all have kids & we all share the same yard so we see eachother daily. Since moving back it seems like one of my sisters is always joking & poking fun at me.

Another thing I was adopted later in life & am much younger then my siblings so this is the first time that I have had to deal with siblings in my life. The oldest of all the kids is the one always making jokes at me. If this keeps up all summer long its going to be very long.

I was always poked fun of in high school then after leaving & moving away for a time that eneded. It was nice not to be everyones joke & I thought that it was over. I guess I was wrong. People have told me its bc its so easy to poke fun at me. Well thats still not fair it still wears me down & yes makes me upset. I dont cry about it or whine & I dont poke back mainly bc I am not witty enough or quick enough to do it like they all do.

I currently just laugh with it but then sometimes I have to say something sternly to get a point across & if all else fails I have to literally walk away from the group & find another spot of the yard where I can be away from them. I dont know what to do though I cant keep this up all summer long simply walking away & having them all think that I am some kind of party pooper when I'm really not. Lucky for me the yard is huge the size of a field so I can at least go somewhere else & be away from them but still its not right.

Okay venting over its just annoying & I dont know what to do about it. I dont want to just smile while they all make jokes at my expense, I dont want to be a downer & walk away every time, if I stick up for myself I get called grumpy then another joke comes from that. I like to joke around too but not when its just one person always being picked on just when its like everyone who is getting poked fun at. Oh well sorry just had to vent it somewhere.

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 4:25 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• I think it's wrong to joke around at the expense of another person. Especiallly the people were closest to. I understand completely because I was made fun of alot. and sadly I'm married with a child and still get made fun of by people, my in laws, my co workers etc.... I distance myself from ignorant people who poke fun at others. it's not okay. and regardless it doesnt feel good...

Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 4:31 PM on May. 31, 2011

• tell them that it is innproperate for them to do that in front of your kids and that if they keep it up you will not be associating with them while the children are around. most of the time kids will be around sothey might stop aroundthe kids and then you only have to handle it every once in a while
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 4:33 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Tell them that you are tired of being the brunt of their jokes, and that from now on, when they start, you will be walking away. If you speak up and tell them the truth, then they are responsible for your having to walk away. You've told them beforehand and you are just delivering on your promise. There's a really good book that you should get and read. It's entitled simply BOUNDARIES by Drs. Henry Cloud and John Townsend. I think reading it will really help you with drawing boundaries around yourself and enforcing them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 4:39 PM on May. 31, 2011

• That is so sad, they are doing this around children that will pick up on these habits, if it was me I will go off on them and let them know how ignorant they are and there kids will be the same if they keep up this foolery, they can call you snobbish if they want, but at least you got your point across and no you should not sit with them if they can't have the decency to be civil with you
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 4:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• You don't have to be witty. Just ask them what the hell is wrong with them. Ask them why, or her, why she feels so badly about herself that she has to always poke fun at you to make herself feel better. Tell her it's gotten old, and it makes her look like a child. Also tell her as long as she wants to act like a child, then you want nothing to do with her, then walk away. If they all do it, include them all. Stand up for yourself. If it comes to it, point out a fact about each one of them, and let them in on the fact that you choose NOT to poke fun of that. Like, if one has bad skin, or one has a fat ass. Point out that YOU aren't the one BEING a child and poking fun at them all the time. If that doesn't get through to them, IDK what will.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:04 PM on May. 31, 2011