Do you have a recipe for a meal that your family loves but you'd probably never serve to guests?

My husband and son love when I make chicken rice-a-roni pilaf. I make a box of rice-a-roni pilaf, add a can of chicken seasoned and fried up in a little A-1 steak sauce, then we top with some shredded cheese and sour cream. It's like casserole in a pan lol. We all love it but I'd never serve it to anyone but us lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Food & Drink

• SOS---$hit on a Shingle. LOL Brown a pound of hamburger, set aside, use dripping to make gravy, add hamburger to gravy...serve on toasted Texas Toast.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• LOL! I often cook things I wouldn't serve to guests. Mainly it is to use up what I have in the refrigerator, and it's nothing bad, just sometimes weird. Like gravy over broccoli, doesn't taste bad, and uses up that bit of gravy. Hehe.

Answer by Bmat at 4:36 PM on May. 31, 2011

• That would be 'lumpy gravy" That is what my kids called it for years. Make a fresh pan of homemade biscuits. In a skillet brown and drain 1 lb of your favorite bulk sausage. If the little ones are eating I use Sage if just the big boys we use the spicey hot. Drain the grease off. toss half a yellow onion that has been chopped in and saute for a couple minutes. then remove sausage mix from skillet and set aside. I always make my gravy in the skillet but you can make it in a separate pan if you want. Make a skillet of white peppered gravy add sausage mix, serve over bicuits. Green beans on the side. We all love this but I would never serve it to company.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I would say the chicken curry we make. Most the people we know don't like trying new foods and when they hear curry they think it sounds to spicy! Our friends cannot handle spicy food either! We love ethnic foods and anything that is not normal American food! More people should be opened minded and just try new things!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:41 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Hawaiian chicken. We love it! But when people hear brown sugar, honey pineapple juice and chicken most people say sweet with chicken, yuck! But it is the perfect blend of sweet! It goes awesome with some mashed potatoes and corn....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:45 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yes ma'am, "green bean & tater casserole" served with a loaf of white bread - kids and husband love it- not sure company would appreciate the made-up mess in a skillet.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 4:57 PM on May. 31, 2011

• That would be my homemade mac and cheese, elbow noodles, milk, sharp cheddar cheese and s & p kids love it . Or goulosh!
    cwgrlmamma

Answer by cwgrlmamma at 5:03 PM on May. 31, 2011

• my mother in law makes a company cassarole that is a can of green beans cream of chicken soup some shicken breasts and water chesnuts. she should never serve that to company!
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 5:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Yep, this awesome taco casserole that a friend intro'ed me to. It's awesome, but I wouldn't make it for company! (Though I did make it for a friend recouping from surgery a couple years ago - her hubby & kid loved it!).
    Anonymous

• Tuna Noodle Casserole - can of tuna, can of cream of chix, cooked egg noodles, defrosted frozen peas, topped with a bit of cheese and baked until bubbly.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 10:10 PM on May. 31, 2011