Potty Training a boy without much success. Taking any and all advice. Please Help.

I have been potty training my 2 year old DS for several weeks now, and I have not been having a lot of luck with it. He doesn't have any problems with sitting on the potty or letting me know that he already went. I take him to the potty about every 20 minutes or so then he says all done and then after he gets off the potty then he goes about 2 minutes later. Can anyone help me?

Mom0413

Asked by Mom0413 at 5:02 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put anything in the potty for him to aim at like cherrios or a something bright colored. it makes it more fun and less messy!
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 5:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Honestly, 2 is pretty early. It sounds like he just isnt ready to potty train. And when they aren't ready...its nearly impossible. Im sorry :( To try and get him ready, you can read him books about potty training, and other hygiene things. Talk to him about using the bathroom, show him flushing the toilet etc. His curiosity will arouse naturally.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 5:05 PM on May. 31, 2011

• sounds like he is still learning to recognize the feeling of needing to potty but its a timing issue for you... try waiting a little longer to take him...
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 5:11 PM on May. 31, 2011

• 2 is pretty early for a boy and since its only been a few weeks, I really wouldn't worry. I have 3 boys and my 2 oldest used to jack with me. They knew how to do it, when they needed to go, but they were just lazy or busy or whatever. Then one day they just decided it was time. They were done with pull ups and overnight decided BOOM! I'm a big boy now! LOL So just be patient and positive praise is always good. But ultimately, it's up to the child. Good luck!!!
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:12 PM on May. 31, 2011

• 2 really isn't that early it's not if you left it up to him he would be in a diaper till he's 4... as parents it's our job to introduce it to them and just keep encouraging it for them to keep at it... it wasn't easy to potty train my son either at fist cause it was all new to the both of us but we got through it... he had accident for a while but i would talk to him and let him know i would take him every 15 minutes and constantly ask if he had to go potty it was the pooping that took a minute but he got a hang of that when i told him that if he poops in the toilet then he can flush it and he loves it now... it's been 3 months since i started potty training my son he is doing really well yeah he has slips here and there but nothing major... you'll get through it don't give up what ever you do... GL momma you'll be very proud of him and yourself cause it is a very big accomplishment.

mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:35 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My DS loves to flush the toilet and wave bye bye to anything that is in the potty. He seems to get a real kick out of it. Its pretty funny to watch him wave bye bye to his potty and poop. I tried to put something in the toilet for him to aim at but then he just wants to put everything in the potty , I think he thinks of it as something he can play in. He has several times gone to the bathroom by himself but he doesnt do it all the time, I think he just wants to be stubborn because he has no problems sitting on the potty, going to the bathroom, letting me know he went potty and also gets very sad and upset if he has any accidents. I am almost ready to buy the programs where they get potty trained in 3 days guaranteed but I am not sure if they are just scams
    Mom0413

Comment by Mom0413 (original poster) at 10:27 PM on May. 31, 2011