Weaning from formula to whole milk, from a bottle to a sippy cup?

My daughter turned 1 on Friday & her doctor wants her off the bottle ASAP. She's been drinking whole milk (both mixed with formula & on it's own), as well as drinking from a sippy cup (it is sometimes a little messy, & she still gets a few bottles during the day). She likes drinking whole milk & doesn't seem to have any bad reactions to it, so should I just cut her off from formula right away or what? And as far as ditching the bottle, how should I go about doing that? I can't decide if we take it away & make her go "cold turkey" (we figure if she's thirsty, she WILL drink from the sippy cup, even if she fusses over not having a bottle) & throw all of her ba-bas away? Or gradually decrease the number of bottles per day (right now she gets 2-4) & slowly wean her off? What has worked best for you & your family in both of these situations?

shelbken

Asked by shelbken at 5:04 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just took it away at 12 months...both bottle and formula...and my boys handled it alright. It was their only option, so they had to adjust. Same thing with the pacifier. Couple night of tears, then they forgot about it.
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 5:08 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I just switched cold turkey. It might take a couple of days but if she can drink from a sippy she will get used to it quickly. It's much harder if you wait
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:31 PM on May. 31, 2011

• A little while before my son turned 1 we started only giving him his bottle at night and then when he turned one we just took it away. he never missed it...
    MommyYeoman

Answer by MommyYeoman at 5:38 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Thanks, ladies... think that's what I'm gonna do. So far, no formula or ba-ba ALL day today & seems to be just fine! It's the night time before bed that worries me, LOL.
    shelbken

Comment by shelbken (original poster) at 7:37 PM on May. 31, 2011

• do u have the nuk sippys they are great to use around bed time that what i use with my son know when he looks at a ba ba he throws it down good luck
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 9:52 PM on May. 31, 2011

• forgot to say they do leak a lil u just have to work with it
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 9:53 PM on May. 31, 2011

• My first I introduced the sippy at 9 months and he used it just fine, We started with soft spout, when he started tearing them up we switched to hard spout. Try diffrent sippys some don't leak as bad. My son used his sippy during the day with meals then at nap and bedtime he got his bottle untill he was one. He had no issues without the bottle. Same with milk I gave it too him, he drank it we donated the rest of the formula. My second was more diffcult, he refused to use the sippy and was on his bottle untill 15 months I would give him a sippy with meals give him about 15 min after if he still hadn't figured it out then we would give him a bottle eventally over time he got use to it. The same with milk at first the only way we could get him to drink it was to heat it up, he still dosn't care too much for milk ( he is almost two) but he gets two cups a day. It depends on the kid and parent.
    Codragonfly

Answer by Codragonfly at 12:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• I know when my daughter was that i slowly reduced her having a bottle i started during the day time replacing the bottle with a sippy cup and then when she would use it during the day i worked at it at night. Seen a bottle at night is a serity thing to some that might take more time to break but it will evenatly stop. Some kids do better cold turkey but others takes some time to adjust. I know my daughter is now 4 and half and she is stil on a sippy only in the car and when she is sick to keep her from spilling other wise i went to straight to cups with handles on it and small plastic cups and juice boxes thou the day and night at home. Good luck
    artzone

Answer by artzone at 1:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• kids are all different. my twins quit cold turkey with the bottle at 1 yr- my 18 month will not give his bottle up idk what to do either have tryed alot of things. twins had a pacy to fall back on but my 18 month old never took the pacy so that may be a factor.
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2011