How can I encourage my daughter to start walking?

She's a year old, & not walking yet. She cruises pretty good if she's holding onto the couch or something, & she can crawl REALLY well. I'm not trying to rush her, persay, but how can we encourage her?

shelbken

Asked by shelbken at 5:06 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they have those push toys and those work wel or if u put 2 chairs out apart enough that she would have to walk but not 2 far that she will want to get down to crawl and then put a toy on the one she is not holding on to
    takes_a_village

Answer by takes_a_village at 5:09 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It'll come. And once she learns to walk all by herself she'll learn to RUN a week later. Be happy she's not there yet. :) My son was 18 months old and had been walking for six months. I took him to a Payless Shoe store and in literally 3 second of me looking at a pair of shoes he was 3 aisles over and half-way to the door. Thankfully it was NOT a store in the mall. Talk about heart attack.

One thing we always did was have mom and dad sit on the floor with legs out in a "V" shape, feet touching. Then support waddler as far as you can reach and have them walk back and forth between parents. Add in tons of praise and smiles and laughs and it's a GREAT time for everyone. Even laugh at when she falls down.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 5:22 PM on May. 31, 2011

• awww this is the fun part i did hula hoop let her get one end and you get the other or when she is standing next to the sofa get your keys jingle them infront of her and then go back a lil further my son was walking in no time good luck
    tjmommy2010

Answer by tjmommy2010 at 6:07 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Leave her alone. The more you push or encourage, the more she'll rebel and not do it. My DS was the same way - we tried and tried and tried, and finally gave up. About a week after we quit trying to make him walk, he was walking all over.
    Anonymous