Would this worry you?

My SD is 4.5 and she lives with my SO and I. She had this thing with dirt. Today she got a spot (smaller than a dime) of dirt on the back of her pant leg and she flipped out! She does the same with a water. One small drop and she insists she needs to change. She gets to change if the water or dirt is really bad but for small spots I don't let her. She gets so furious with me.

As a preschool teacher I only encountered one little girl who would want to change but not like this. I could talk with the other little girl and explainw hy she didn't need to change and she'd be fine with it. My SD won't hear it. She eventually ends up in a time out until she can calm down. Then she's over it.

I'm not used to raising girls. I have two older boys and two nephews who are very different than girls! I'm wondering if I should be concerned about this behavior. It's not new but it seems to be getting worse.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in General Parenting

• Its normal. I have two girls and they were very clean. My youngest son is the same way. Some kids just dont like to be dirty or wet.

Answer by gemgem at 12:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• my 3 year old daughter does that and if anything gets on her hands she has to wipe it off right away i tell her when she gets some water on her it will dry ofcourse it dont work she will strip so she can change and she does it with her undies to she says she peed in them and i check and they are dry but she has to change them so i started putting the ones she took off that were not wet back in her drawer
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• its a girl thing shes just very girly is it that big of a deal if you let her change her clothes? if its just a drop of water or a tad bit of dirt fold the clothes and put them back i dont thing its anything to worry about she will get over it the bigger she gets.
    Anonymous

• I think it's normal for a lot of girls. My niece was 4 and got mud on her hands and about had a heart attack. She was so upset. Then I see other girls who play like boys and get dirty. I was the one who literally rolled in mud at age 13 haha. My mom thought i'd never get out of that.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm a step mom too.mine is older that yours.But I think it is a control thing.A power struggle.Sd thinks she has won against you if she gets to change her clothes.My sd was the same way.It gets worse when the kid is older.Maybe you can fix this while she is little.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Eveylynwest..you took the words straight out of my mouth. I have the exact same issue with my granddaughter. It is clearly a power struggle. Her drs relate it to her removal from her parents and all that meant. Any stress she is feeling gets blown up 5000 times normal. I refuse to fight with her. I do try ands empower hewr with affirmation and such.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• My son was the same way till he was 7. Now he doesnt care loves to get dirty and my granddaughter is 4 she is getting better water doesnt bother her anymore its just mud, dirt that gets her.

myzero

Answer by myzero at 3:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I really dont know! I have boys, they could be covered from head to toe in dirt and not care! :D My DH's sister (8 year old SIL! :D) isn't this way, she gets pretty messy playing outside. Perhaps she's a tomboy! :D
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 9, 2008