Drivers ed.

Would you spend the money on driver's education or teach your child yourself?

malexander2009

Asked by malexander2009 at 5:45 PM on May. 31, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• In the state of NC, Driver's Ed is MANDATORY if you wish to drive before the age of 18. Most counties have it available for free through the local high school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:58 PM on May. 31, 2011

• I wish it was the case for me my DH had to teach me to drive when we were dating because my parents wouldn't take me out (even though I had my permit.) Nor would they let me take drivers ed. it cost too much money.
    malexander2009

Comment by malexander2009 (original poster) at 6:26 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Drivers Ed.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:17 PM on May. 31, 2011

• In Chicago, it is part of high school. Ten weeks of classroom instruction during sophomore PE; 4 2hour sessions of range (driving in a parking lot); 4 2 hour sessions of traffic. Additionally, they need 50 hours of driving with an adult (including ten hours of driving in the dark). Ten months after getting their permits, if they have completed all of the hours, they get a license (with a B or better in traffic, they do not have to take the driving exam)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Drivers Ed. I am not qualified to teach a teenager to drive. It is no longer offered through the local high schools, so it's all done through private driving schools. Then once the teen gets their license, it is a graduated license. They can have only so many kids the same age in the car at one time, have to have so many hours of highway, interstate and driving in different weather conditions before they get a permanent license.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:14 PM on May. 31, 2011

• Drivers ed is free in schools here. I wouldnt teach my kid. I'm a bad driver myself.
    aj23

Answer by aj23 at 11:28 PM on May. 31, 2011

• In our state if a minor wants to get their license they HAVE to take drivers ed. You CAN wait until you are 18 and then you don't need that but it saves you on your insurance if you take driving school. Here it's NOT taught in school and it costs almost $400 per student. Mine all took the classes because they wanted to drive. They got jobs, paid for driving school and then 6 mos. after they got their licenses they got their 1st car...paid for in part for by them and they put the money down for their car insurance and registration at the time of the purchase of their car.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:33 PM on May. 31, 2011

• It's is required in my state if they want to drive prior to turning 18. It is very expensive around $900 . Personally I think it is a scam. My son got nothing out of it. After taking driver's ed he thought he could make a left turn on green. He didn't realize that meant only if cars weren't coming. He failed his road test the first time because his windows fogged up. He didn't know how to turn on the defrosters. If it's not required in your state, I would save my money.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 7:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2011

• If you can afford it and don't have the time to teach, then yes. Drivers Ed hear is free. Unless you do private lessons.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 2:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2011

• In my county in TX anyone under 25 who is getting their license HAS to go to driving school.
    Anonymous